Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: [HOWTO] abcde

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Jaunty Jackalope (testing)

Re: [HOWTO] abcde

NEVERMIND — it seems I figured it out already! Hitting "q" (for "quit") while "(END)" is highlighted brings up the prompt for choosing the desired entry, and then the process continues...

All apologies (track 12) for being so dumb (track 06 — and not DUMP you silly "newage" track 07)!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Piraja; November 5th, 2008 at 12:19 PM.
    I never use smilies, but there are exceptions that prove the rule [Hey, how do I disable showing colon & parenthesis as an emoticon in my signature?]
    Now playing: Last.fm

Beans

Hi Piraja:

Quote Originally Posted by Piraja View Post

one thing I don't really understand is that when CDDB gives multiple exact matches [...]

how do I continue from here, i.e. from the (END) line? I could not figure this out by a quick lookup at the help file and the man page.

All that is required is to scroll through the list and decide which 'match' you prefer and then close the editor window. abcde will then ask you to select the match by number (ie 1, 2, 3 or 4).

All the best,

Andrew
    You think that's air you're breathing now?

Beans

Hi:

Quote Originally Posted by playinpearls View Post
    ok, i installed everything as it said in the begining but when I start ripping the cd, it still saves it as a ogg file. I did change this in the cfg file:

# Paths of programs to use
    LAME=lame
    #GOGO=gogo
    #BLADEENC=bladeenc

but that is the only thing. Is there something else I have to change to get it to start encoding to mp3?
    Ogg Vorbis is the default format used by abcde. The section you actually need to change is:

Code:
    OUTPUTTYPE="mp3"
    and I would suggest as well:

Code:
    LAMEOPTS='--preset extreme'
    Andrew

Beans
    Distro

Dear all,

I'd like to submit CDDB information for an album whose details I had to edit manually, but "cddb-tool send <filename>" returns just

Code:
    /usr/bin/cddb-tool: 242: mail: not found
    I haven't really been able to dig up information about this feature of abcde (cddb-tool is, anyway, "a backend tool for abcde").
    I never use smilies, but there are exceptions that prove the rule [Hey, how do I disable showing colon & parenthesis as an emoticon in my signature?]

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by Piraja View Post
    Dear all,

I'd like to submit CDDB information for an album whose details I had to edit manually, but "cddb-tool send <filename>" returns just

Code:
    I haven't really been able to dig up information about this feature of abcde (cddb-tool is, anyway, "a backend tool for abcde").
    hmm...reading the man page options:
    send [file] address

Mails file file (or stdin of no file specified) to specified address, using correct format. Category should be one of blues, classical, country, data, fold, jazz, newage, reggae, rock, soundtrack, misc.
    Have you tried removing '#' here:

# This controls the email address CDDB changes are submitted to.
    CDDBSUBMIT=freedb-submit@freedb.org
    Then maybe adding options here:

CDDBTOOLOPTS="send freedb-submit@freedb.org"
    just a shot in the dark...

Beans
    Distro

Thanks logos34!

No hit, sorry to say.

The script /usr/bin/cddb-tool contains 242 lines, of which the last is just "esac". I removed the hash in .abcde.conf, to no avail, and tried adding CDDBTOOLOPTS="send freedb-submit@freedb.org" as you suggested; adding the email address to the "send" command does not help either:

Code:
    piraja@ubuntu-64bit:~$ cddb-tool send /home/piraja/abcde.6d10eb08/cddbread.0 freedb-submit@freedb.org 
    PS. I attached the /usr/bin/cddb-tool file (as .txt) for reference. I suppose it should not be edited manually, but I'm at my wit's end about .abcde.conf, since the suggested changes did not help.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Piraja; December 30th, 2008 at 10:10 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

I didn't have very high hopes it would work!

abcde can be frustrating. There are several things I never figured out how to do--e.g. how to get it to autorun vorbisgain (whereas I can get it to run 'replaygain' for mp3 by simply editng the lameopts line...)

oh well, hopefully someone out there has an answer for you

Beans
    Distro

I wonder if this extract from the ripping process helps to solve the problem — abcde reads the information from the cddread.0 file that I edited but I cannot send the information to FreeDB (cf. the couple of posts preceding this one). Something seems to be missing... ("No such file or directory"? Why's that, when it's an address?)

Code:
    Edit selected CDDB data? [y/n] (n): y
    Is the CD multi-artist? [y/n] (n): 
    grep: freedb-submit@freedb.org: No such file or directory
    Grabbing track 1: EDWARD ELGAR _1857-1934_ - Introduction and Allegro, op 47...
    cdparanoia III release 10.0 (June 10, 2008)

Beans

Hi,

I have not been able to get abcde to even call cd-discid from within the script to send the updated information. The section of /usr/bin/abcde looks fairly straightforward:

Code:
    			# submit the modified file, if they want
    			if [ "$NOSUBMIT" != "y" ]; then
    				echo -n "Do you want to submit this entry to $CDDBSUBMIT? [y/n] (n): "
    				read YESNO
    				while [ "$YESNO" != "y" ] && [ "$YESNO" != "n" ] && [ "$YESNO" != "Y" ] && \
    					[ "$YESNO" != "N" ] && [ "$YESNO" != "" ]
    				do
    					echo -n 'Invalid selection. Please answer "y" or "n": '
    					read YESNO
    				done
    				if [ "$YESNO" = "y" ] || [ "$YESNO" = "Y" ]; then
    					echo -n "Sending..."
    					$CDDBTOOL send "$CDDBDATA" $CDDBSUBMIT
    					echo "done."
    				fi
    			fi
    		fi
    	fi
    But I cannot get it to work by using this option. Unfortunately at the moment the project seems a little quiet. Have you tried an email to Jesus Clement who answered a couple of my emails quite courteously in the past?

More than a little exasperating . Perhaps abcde expects a local copy of the freedb, or even simply the option CDDBLOCALDIR="$HOME/.cddb"? The documentation is particularly unhelpful with all this.

Andrew
    Last edited by andrew.46; January 3rd, 2009 at 01:00 AM.

Beans

Hi,

Never one to let an issue like this rest I have submitted a bug-report:

http://code.google.com/p/abcde/issues/detail?id=1

This site has been a little quiet but I gather it is the home of abcde at the moment and looks like the best place to get some resolution of the issue. Interested in getting involved in the process? Confirmation of the bug may help matters along, if the new developers are active.

All the best,

Andrew

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast