Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Please I need help before I drop my cumputer out a third story window...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Re: I hate to say it but I think I have a virus!!!

Quote Originally Posted by LowSky View Post
    Yea this isn't a virus, and you are being very limited in telling us what is actually going on with your computer. Not to mention how did you not know you had another OS on your PC? Trying to find DOS? DOS is a Microsoft product and how would you use it to to remove Ubuntu...? If you know the command prompts to delete a partition but don't know how to purge or remove Firefox, or reinstall the network files, then What am I to think?

Seriously this thread just makes little to no sense, and even if you are being sincere about your problem, you know too little of the actual issue to even assume what the problem is, your like a boy who cries wolf when it only the neighbor's dog. Your issue is you either have a internet connectivity issue or corrupted Firefox profile, both of which can explain the current situation you are in and why another OS works just fine.
    I do sencirly apologise for the inconvieniance. I am not cying wolf I am having real problems and yes maybe I don't know how to explain myself clearly but I don't know this Linux crap and I don't know how to use it. I thought when I reinstalled ubuntu again I thought I used the whole drive but aparently I didn't so I was not looking for other pertitions. Fire fox is running great in Mandriva right now. I have only had ubuntu for about 2 months maybe any Linux at all for that matter. I don't know what else you want me to tell you about my problem.

When I go to log onto the internet with Firefox, Opera, or Kounquer browsers from my ubuntu installation it will not load I get an error page that says fire fox canot find the address. When I am able to log into the net it runs very slow and sluggish. I will be on a website and when I go to a new one I get the erro page again. I am curently using the Mandriva partition I did not know I had ( I am sorry if you don't believe me but it is true) and Firefox is working fine and running great. I can surf the web. It is fast and I am having no problems. What else would you like to know? Maybe you should explain yourself a little clearer. I have told you exactly what has been going on.

P.S. thanx for the info. can you please explain how I can correct my corrupt Fire fox problem?
    T.B.U. = True Blue Ubuntu... Leo Dragonheart

" Seek knowledge carefully. It can and will 'byte' back if given the chance..." L.M.Dragonheart

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Leo Dragonheart View Post
    When I go to log onto the internet with Firefox, Opera, or Kounquer browsers from my ubuntu installation it will not load I get an error page that says fire fox canot find the address.

P.S. thanx for the info. can you please explain how I can correct my corrupt Fire fox problem?
    if it also happens with opera and konqueror...what makes you think firefox is corrupt?

anyways, how are you connecting to the internet? ...ethernet or wireless? ...cable or dsl?

if it is wireless....what wireless card/chipset is it?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Quote Originally Posted by Leo Dragonheart View Post
    I do sencirly apologise for the inconvieniance. I am not cying wolf I am having real problems and yes maybe I don't know how to explain myself clearly but I don't know this Linux crap and I don't know how to use it. I thought when I reinstalled ubuntu again I thought I used the whole drive but aparently I didn't so I was not looking for other pertitions. Fire fox is running great in Mandriva right now. I have only had ubuntu for about 2 months maybe any Linux at all for that matter. I don't know what else you want me to tell you about my problem.

When I go to log onto the internet with Firefox, Opera, or Kounquer browsers from my ubuntu installation it will not load I get an error page that says fire fox canot find the address. When I am able to log into the net it runs very slow and sluggish. I will be on a website and when I go to a new one I get the erro page again. I am curently using the Mandriva partition I did not know I had ( I am sorry if you don't believe me but it is true) and Firefox is working fine and running great. I can surf the web. It is fast and I am having no problems. What else would you like to know? Maybe you should explain yourself a little clearer. I have told you exactly what has been going on.

stick with mandriva, it is by far the best perfect linux, ubuntu has many bugs, ( I still prefer ubuntu with all it's bugs) if you cant fix those bugs continue using mandriva!

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by fooman View Post
    if it also happens with opera and konqueror...what makes you think firefox is corrupt?

anyways, how are you connecting to the internet? ...ethernet or wireless? ...cable or dsl?

if it is wireless....what wireless card/chipset is it?
    First off you are correct. It was not just firefox! I am just a little flustered from an earlier post and 2 weeks of not having my internet.

I connect to the internet wirelessly through a usb port. I am not sure what DSL stands for but I am sure it is not etho. I have a satilite package that includes the net. (Satilite, Phone, and Internet)

I installed ubuntu.8.10 around the beging of January this year and until this month everthing ran great. At the begining of this month is when I was not able to connect to the net.

I did try Opera, Konquer, and Firefox web browsers so it was not just firefox. I had the same problem with all of them. I have downloaded stuff to ubuntu and I don't really know how to install stuff correctly so maybe I mixed something up I do not know.

I was going to reinstall ubuntu and found I had Mandriva installed on here previously that a friend had sent me and it runs fine. so it has to be my ubuntu intillation. (not the instillation but something I did to it)

Can someone please tell me how to use gparted from my live CD so I can do a new clean install?

Thank you all for your help and for putting up with my frustration. Linux is not crap. I love Linux and I apologise for my earlier statment I was upset. Please forgive me... Thanx again for everyone help!!!

" Seek knowledge carefully. It can and will 'byte' back if given the chance..." L.M.Dragonheart

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Good God, people, calm down! This person is trying to get help. We don't need a dozen people coming in here screaming "OMGZ NO YOU DO NOT HAVE A VIRUS NOOB!" Geeze.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I am not at all sure this will help, but I feel that I may be remiss if I don't mention it. The following information is from my son who has even less Ubuntu (Linux) experience than me. He has Ubuntu 8.10 and when he last updated he got a new kernel. He was never able to get his wireless working properly with that new kernel.

To test this, I had him boot through GRUB, but select the earlier kernel and see if he still had the problem. I am not saying this is the issue, but when he boots on the earlier kernel his wireless is working perfectly.

Just a thought. Good Luck.
    Registered Ubuntu User # 25175

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Please I need help before I drop my cumputer out a third story window...

Threads merged.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

Re: Please I need help before I drop my cumputer out a third story window...

Quote Originally Posted by overdrank View Post
    Threads merged.
    But bit confusing to read

Therion is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

Quote Originally Posted by jimv View Post
    Good God, people, calm down! This person is trying to get help. We don't need a dozen people coming in here screaming "OMGZ NO YOU DO NOT HAVE A VIRUS NOOB!" Geeze.
    Thank you. I was trying to think of a calm, rational way to put this. Now I can stop thinking about it.

LEO:

What you're going to need to do, in short, is this:

Download and burn the Parted Live CD (this is the new name, by the way, for gParted) to a bootable .iso, just like you would any other LiveCD, and then boot to it.

You'll then need to identify the Mandriva partition on your hard drive. Right-click on it to remove it and then click "Apply Changes".

Now select the remaining Ubuntu partition by clicking on it and then on the Resize/Move option. You want to resize this partition. Just use the slider so that the Ubuntu partition uses what's left of the drive. Click on "Apply Changes", let Parted Magic do it's thing and you're done.

Post back if you need more assistance. It's really pretty simple once you actually SEE Parted Live in action.
    Last edited by Therion; March 13th, 2009 at 05:31 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by edwardLS View Post
    I am not at all sure this will help, but I feel that I may be remiss if I don't mention it. The following information is from my son who has even less Ubuntu (Linux) experience than me. He has Ubuntu 8.10 and when he last updated he got a new kernel. He was never able to get his wireless working properly with that new kernel.

To test this, I had him boot through GRUB, but select the earlier kernel and see if he still had the problem. I am not saying this is the issue, but when he boots on the earlier kernel his wireless is working perfectly.

Just a thought. Good Luck.
    Thanx that may be it. I had the manager set to update daily so maybe I got the same thing. Thanx for the info...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast