Thread: Older hardware

Beans

Older hardware

Well, as a longtime PC user I've accumulated alot of cast off parts over the years. Looking at the junk-pile, I realized I have enough bits to throw together and make something. Don't laugh, its a P2 400mz, but with 512 RAM it runs. I have 8.10 installed and it works well enough, but I'm having some trouble getting all the hardware working.

I have a nVidia Corporation NV5M64 [RIVA TNT2 Model 64/Model 64 Pro] (rev 15) vidcard I'm trying to install drivers for.

I followed the instructions here
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=971103

but no luck. I can still boot into 8.10 normally, however the progress bar stops, reports (among other things) nvidia 71.76.09 [fail]. so I don't think it is being loaded. Am I stuck, or is there some whay to get this to work?

Also, on this 10yr old board is another 10 yr old ISA FM Radio tuner, I was wondering if I could get this running too. However, I think I have forgotten the little I knew about ISA, and I don't know at all how it would be added in Ubuntu.

-Thanks in advance.

Beans

Re: Older hardware

Well, I gave up on the video card. I had another on lying around that is more modern so that works. I'd really like to know how to get this radio card to work. I believe it is the AMS Labs RadioTrack ISA controler. Some of the Googling leads me to believe that I have to load the Kernel Module: radio-aimslabs and then specify the memory address (0x20f). After that I'm trying to load Gnomeradio but it says there is no /dev/radio . I find there is a /dev/radio0 , but only root has access. RUnning gomeradio as root doesn't work, the program just sits and I have no Radio.

Any advice?

Beans

Re: Older hardware

Well, I'm gradually making progress. Running GnomeRadio as Root DOES work, however, its very slow the first time its run while is scans the channels. The first hurdle is how do I access /dev/radio0 as not root? should I chroot /dev/radio0 to something? It looks like it is part of group "video" but I'm not sure how to make my user account a part of that group.