Beans

Exposing Vista files to Ubuntu on VMWare

Ubuntu 8.10 running in VMWare player on Vista

How do move files from Vista to Ubuntu?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: Exposing Vista files to Ubuntu on VMWare

Hmmmm...... Well, obviously you would have to share a folder, the question is how. I remember doing it, I just can't remember how, or where I got the information from. I do remember that you have to edit one of the .vmdk or .vmx or one of those files. Let me redo my research and I'll post back once I find something.
    "Yo no soy cobarde, Padre, yo soy pacifista, que no es lo mismo. Odio el derramamiento de sangre inutil, y tambien el util. Por eso yo odio la guerra. La guerra fria, la guerra caliente y la guerra fria." -- Tin Tan

Beans
    Distro

Aha, I found something that can help you, here's the link, www.visoracle.com/download/debian/sharedfolders.html. It was the .vmx that you have to edit and add a few lines.

After you do what they tell you, start VMPlayer and on the menus on top, find the option to share a folder, you should be able to select which folder you want to mount on Ubuntu.
    Last edited by arqbrulo; March 11th, 2009 at 10:54 PM.
    "Yo no soy cobarde, Padre, yo soy pacifista, que no es lo mismo. Odio el derramamiento de sangre inutil, y tambien el util. Por eso yo odio la guerra. La guerra fria, la guerra caliente y la guerra fria." -- Tin Tan

Beans

Thanks arqbrulo, I'll give this a try.

Beans
    Distro

Sorry for making too many posts about nothing, it's my first time at trying to help someone out. Anyways, it seems that there is something I forgot to mention, you need to install VMWare Tools. Here is a guide: http://yy416808.awardspace.com/Insta...arePlayer.html. Now, from what I understand, you have Ubuntu as guest and Vista as the host. I think all those steps can be done with Ubuntu running, just change "windows.iso" to "linux.iso".

Beans

yes, Vista host, ubuntu guest

I've got everything but the VMWare Tools. Followed the link you provided, mounted the linux.iso, ran the perl script, but it choked about halfway through with a mismatched kernel (I think). I'll look for another way install the tools. Thanks for the help.

Beans
    Distro

Well, I managed to find two more "tutorial" on how to install the tools on ubuntu guest, but they are for VMWare Server. At least they will guide you in the right direction. Anyways, here are the links, I hope they help.

http://ubuntu-tutorials.com/2008/06/...tu-804-guests/
    and
    http://ubuntu-tutorials.com/2007/10/...ubuntu-guests/

They're both from the same place, the first one is newer than the second one. Good luck.

Beans

Thanks a lot, arqbrulo. I'll work on these. I have VMWare Server on my work computer, so I may just copy the vm files over and install it from there.