Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: use OpenBSD as a router and firewall

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: use OpenBSD as a router and firewall

Quote Originally Posted by albinootje View Post
    OpenBSD, just like FreeBSD and NetBSD is a Unix-alike just like Linux, except with a different code-base. Linux was written from scratch, after Linus Torvalds got frustrated about Minix.
    See here for more information about the background from BSD : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BSD

I can give you some examples in commands between Linux and FreeBSD :
    In FreeBSD the command "free" doesn't exist.
    The sometimes very useful command "watch" in Linux, does exist in FreeBSD but does something different.
    But in general a lot is pretty much the same or alike.

There's Solaris, HP-UX, IBM's AIX, SCO (cough..) UNIX and perhaps more : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unix#Branding

No problem, good luck! m0n0wall is fairly easy to set up, and you can (amongst others) choose between using only a hard disk, or only cdrom+floppy (no hard disk), or compact-flash only.
    Installing and configuring OpenBSD is really not that easy, and getting the default firewall software up and running takes some reading and/or research.
    Compared to that m0n0wall is a breeze.
    Mate, you have been a big help, and this is so great...Cheers!!!

will tell you how it goes this weekend.
    Arrakis

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by e24ohm View Post
    This looks nice. Have you personally played around with this product? If so, what do you like about it, and what don't you like about it. ]

I usually work form the cisco cli, and only recentlly started to learn linux to help my career, and I read about linux firewalls, routers, and vpn gateways. Thought i might play around with them.

Thanks.
    E
    i use it as a firewall and DHCP server, and for my use it has ben perfect. no problem at all. easy to install and manage
    Last edited by executor; March 13th, 2009 at 11:32 PM.
    Asus K95VM

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by executor View Post
    i use it as a firewall and DHCP server, and for my use it has ben perfect. no problem at all. easy to install and manage
    Hmmm, this is a nice idea to move my DHCP server off my server 2003 DC. Hmmmm - what do you think of running DHCP/DNS on one box and running another as a Firewall?

What I am trying to do is the follwoing

Internet <cisco 2600> ----- <firewall>----<switch0>----<Router>----switch---

firewall will be ASA with a DMZ

switch0 will have LAN1 and port mirroring and wireshark

Router will be my Openbsd box

switch will be a standard cisco 2950 for LAN2

Thank you,
    E
    Arrakis

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12