Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Beeping

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Beeping

Sometimes my Pangolin makes annoying beeping sounds. I think they're called system beeps. For example, when I shut down or a key gets stuck. Anyway, it's kind of annoying and I'd rather be rid of it. What can I do?

I think I should mention it only started after I reinstalled the BIOS.
    Ubuntu user since Dec. 2008, User #485010.

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Beeping

this thing right here should work

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

It is a known, latest-greatest feature. Everybody wanted it in previous versions of Ubuntu, so devs put it in. However, there was no way to disable it.

I've not seen that before, but Jolx's suggestion just might work. However, you might want to make sure it doesn't hose sound elsewhere.
    To err is human, to forgive is very ... dog-like.

Thomas Aaron
    FetchMasters, LLC

Beans
    Distro

The beeping hasn't stopped with the suggestion from jolx. Whenever I backspace or shut down the computer the beeping happens, and it even happened for about 10 seconds straight yesterday. Is there really no way to disable this? There are times when I need to keep my laptop quiet, and having it beep like that is really not helpful.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by flukeairwalker View Post
    The beeping hasn't stopped with the suggestion from jolx. Whenever I backspace or shut down the computer the beeping happens, and it even happened for about 10 seconds straight yesterday. Is there really no way to disable this? There are times when I need to keep my laptop quiet, and having it beep like that is really not helpful.
    Are you sure this was the system beep? Without realizing it, I had the microphone on on my laptop and when I close the lid, there was horrible effect between the mic and the speakers resulting in 5 - 1 second beep that can be mistaken for system beep.

Beans
    Distro

I've had that one happen before! At first I thought it was some type of alarm but I figured it out pretty quick. No, I'm certain it's not the mic. I went into the system utilities at startup and disabled a setting there, but it doesn't seem to help. If nothing works then I guess I'll just have to apologize for having a noisy computer.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Check the sound controls in System > Preferences > Sound.
    Also, open a terminal and go to Edit > Profiles. See if your Terminal beep is enabled there.
    To err is human, to forgive is very ... dog-like.

Thomas Aaron
    FetchMasters, LLC

Beans
    Distro

So I looked through those options as you suggested and deselected anything that seemed like it might have to do with the system beep. While it seems to have taken care of most beeping circumstances, the computer still beeps when I shut it down. I guess I can live with that one instance, though I'd rather not have to. Thanks for your help so far, you've been very understanding.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

try the tutorial here, make sure you follow it all (ie. not just the first command)

dje

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Have you tried "sudo rmmod pcspkr" in a terminal to unload the module that controls the internal speaker? Also make sure in the last tab of System->Preferences->Sound that the alert checkbox is not ticked. It worked for me...
    >> Registered Ubuntu user #24462

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast