Thread: better to format in camera?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

better to format in camera?

My photography teacher said she was told it is better to format cards in the camera, but she could not explain why. Anyone has any idea why/if this is true?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: better to format in camera?

Quote Originally Posted by minsf View Post
    My photography teacher said she was told it is better to format cards in the camera, but she could not explain why. Anyone has any idea why/if this is true?
    Some cameras require a specific folder structure exists on the card. Formating from something other than the camera won't create any foldes that may be needed.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by SentientFluid View Post
    Some cameras require a specific folder structure exists on the card. Formating from something other than the camera won't create any foldes that may be needed.
    thanks for the info

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by SentientFluid View Post
    Correct. My Canon Ixus 50 won't accept cards formatted on a computer (at least not without complaining), whereas my more professional DSLR does not have problems with.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Though some cameras create the folder structures by itself whet it initializes the cards, not all of them do this. and thats why its better....
    POWER: Intel xeon 4x2.66GHz,4GB quad channel ecc DDR400(800MHz),210GB SCSI raid0(6x36GB) 512MB cache.
    PC: Intel E6600 @ 3.24GHz. NVIDIA 9800GT. 2GB DDR @ 833MHz. Ubuntu UE 2.6 64 (10.04)