Thread: Jaunty but not connected

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Jaunty Jackalope (testing)

Jaunty but not connected

Have just upgraded from ubuntu 8.10 to Jaunty. All good but no network ability. No wireless, no ethernet, nothing. Keep clicking onto my network (wired and wireless) but just will not do the do.....

Kernel problem or NetworkManager Applet ? I see this one is now 0.7.0.99. My Linux Mint version is 0.7.0. Deskto cd for Jaunty is 0.7.0.27 (I think)
    and that works fine!

Erm.... pretty stuck now. Anyone hit this one and found a solution that is probably simple and straight forward but I am just too tired to see?! Thought I would try N & W thread just in case it is not a Jaunty specific issue. Ta

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Jaunty but not connected

Quote Originally Posted by lcv View Post
    Have just upgraded from ubuntu 8.10 to Jaunty. All good but no network ability. No wireless, no ethernet, nothing. Keep clicking onto my network (wired and wireless) but just will not do the do.....

Kernel problem or NetworkManager Applet ? I see this one is now 0.7.0.99. My Linux Mint version is 0.7.0. Deskto cd for Jaunty is 0.7.0.27 (I think)
    and that works fine!

Erm.... pretty stuck now. Anyone hit this one and found a solution that is probably simple and straight forward but I am just too tired to see?! Thought I would try N & W thread just in case it is not a Jaunty specific issue. Ta
    I don't want to sound unhelpful (to be fair I don't have an easy solution to your problem lol) I would always advise against doing upgrades.

Some people will argue that they have done them blah blah no problems but do a search on the forum for upgrade trouble and you will see for yourself. It's a big job but I would always back up /home and wipe clean, then install fresh.

I hope someone sees this thread and gives you an easy solution though mate! Sorry!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Jaunty Jackalope (testing)

No worries, I completely agree with your sentiments! Lucky for me all data backed up across 2 laptops and 3 distros (xubuntu, linux Mint, and the jaunty jalloppy, sorry, jacalope, whatever) so no major loss, just damn annoying. To be fair 9.04 seems fine but just no networking. Mind you, that does rather turn the old laptop into an expensive doorstop. Thank god for multi booting, partitioning, etc. Seemed a faff at the time but saved me a lot of heartache

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

+1 on the dual booting! Some people say to try new releases in a Virtual machine but I prefer it on the "bare metal" that way you know if everything is going to work when you want to use it for real. Plus I find virtual machines slow even on my awesome desktop.