Thread: Transparent Panel Theme

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Transparent Panel Theme

Hey everyone!

Here is my problem. I'm using a transparent image for my panel (attached), but the only time it effects the whole panel is when I am using a theme included in my distro.

Does anyone know how to modify a GTK theme so that it will not touch my panel at all?

I have tried altering the panel images included with a theme, deleting the panel images, and altering the panel and gkrc files within the theme, all to no avail.

Also, I do not want to use Compiz transparency because it makes everything transparent and I just want the panel background to be transparent.

Thanks to anyone who can help!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Transparent Panel Theme

Quote Originally Posted by omureadhaigh View Post
    hey everyone!

Here is my problem. I'm using a transparent image for my panel (attached), but the only time it effects the whole panel is when i am using a theme included in my distro.

Many themes do not support this

does anyone know how to modify a gtk theme so that it will not touch my panel at all?

Just search for a theme hat does support what u need it too. The reality is that themes are hit and miss unfortunately.

I have tried altering the panel images included with a theme, deleting the panel images, and altering the panel and gkrc files within the theme, all to no avail.

Also, i do not want to use compiz transparency because it makes everything transparent and i just want the panel background to be transparent.

Don't use compiz for transparency if you only want the panel transparent.

What i would do is simply add the background image to the desktop background, install a theme that works with complete transparency for the panel, then go to panel properties (right click the panel) > background image > solid color > then set transparency

thanks to anyone who can help!
    good luck

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Hi:
    I saw this on FOSSwire and thought it may help:

http://http://fosswire.com/post/2009...nt-gtk-themes/

Good Luck;
    Randy3011

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

If you go into the .themes folder under your Home folder and find the theme you are using, you can find the graphic that makes up the panel and delete it. Then apply a transparent graphic or color to the panel.