Thread: It lost the internet?

Beans

Angry It lost the internet?

This is a bit of a doozy, because I'm not sure what I did. I was trying to get my friend's Laptop (Acer AspireOne ZG5) to read its wireless internt card. I followed the little Wireless guide I found for it, did everything correctly in terminal, and it worked at first...then I ran an update on the system.

I'm on 8.10 (Ibex), and the computer is Dual-Boot with XP. on Windows, it reads both Wireless and Wired fine. On Linux...it reads neither. This makes me feel so dumb for asking, especially with the vagueness of my explanation, but any help would be appreciated.

NOTE: The update was just a big standard one; the internet connections worked right -after- I'd installed Ubuntu. Getting the wireless working was the first thing I did, and it was before I got the new system updates for it.
    Last edited by ChaosMuffins; March 10th, 2009 at 02:02 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: It lost the internet?

I don't have 8.10 (probably get it after Jaunty comes out...), so I'm kinda working blind. Network Manager stores it's settings in /etc/NetworkManager - /etc/NetworkManager/nm-system-settings.conf in particular. You can also check results of lshw -C network to see if both/either interface(s) has an alias (eth0).
    Linux User #415691 Ubuntu User #8629
    Iowa Team (LoCo): [Wiki] [Launchpad] [Sub-forum]
    IRC channel: #ubuntu-us-ia on irc.freenode.net

Beans

Re: It lost the internet?

I may just reinstall the system, if worse comes to worse. It's a fresh Laptop with nothing on it, so I won't lose anything.

I'm running Hardy on my desktop, and it's hooked up to wired internet with no problems; does it do wireless with a little work? I know how to config wireless for Intrepid because I HAD it working before it failed royally...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Question It lost the internet, could I have turned of the network interface?

I don't know if I can expect a reply to this old thread or not. I have had my Ubuntu server running for more than a year and everything has worked fine. A few days ago I attempted to cancel an install operation while simultaneously attempting to adjust the keyboard position. I dropped it and in my attempts to catch it I pressed almost all the keys on the keyboard. Since that time I have not had an internet connection. I can ping other machines on the network and other machines can print, but I cannot reach the internet from the server. I do not have any available connetions from within the network connections list. I created one (both manual and DHCP) but it doesn't use them. I don't think that is what I need to do anyway though, as i didn't have to set any parameters to my wired connection previously. I think I may have somehow turned off the NIC port, is that possible? If so, how can I check and/or turn it back on again? I am on Ubuntu 11.10 Server 64. I don't know what I've done or what I'm missing. Thank you in advance for any input regarding this matter - kind regards to all.