Thread: OS X Will Not Boot (Possible rEFIt problem)

Beans

OS X Will Not Boot (Possible rEFIt problem)

I posted this over on Apple's Support Forums, and I just wanted to see if anyone had any input here.

Some computer info before you read:
    MacBook Pro from late 2007 (Dual-Core 2.0 GHz, 2 GB RAM)
    Dual Booted with Latest Leopard and Ubuntu Linux
    I use rEFIt as my boot menu

So this happened the other day: I had just restarted OS X, and I noticed that the process "CrashReport" was eating up about 80% of my CPU. I figured it might have a window open somewhere. I searched, but no dice. I decided to kill it via Terminal. Once I stopped the process it came back with a different process ID. Same thing happened with another try. So I just decided to reboot. That's when it happened -- OS X would not load.

It gets stuck at the Apple Logo with the turning wheel. Rebooting does not help. I attempted to boot into SUM as well as put it in TDM, but neither work. With those not working I tried the Leopard Install CD. My harddrive shows up but my partition table does not. This is where it gets annoying: I can still boot into Linux AND mount my OS X partition. I have no idea why this is happening. As far as I can reason I think it might be my boot menu. I can disable it via SUM if I could get to it. Any ideas? I'm probably missing a very simple fix.

And no I cannot mount my OS X partition under Ubuntu in writable mode -- it disagrees with HFS+ journaling. (That fix requires me to boot into OS X )

Thanks for any feedback.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: OS X Will Not Boot (Possible rEFIt problem)

It sounds like your partition tables are messed up. There is a partition tool in the refit menu. Does it say your tables are out of sync?

Your best option might be to boot Ubuntu, back things up, and reinstall OSX.

Beans

Yep, I've ran the rEFIt partition tool, says it's all okay.

The thing about reformatting is that I'd have to remove both OSes since they won't show up under an install CD. I have a few more disk utilities that I need to dig up and try.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by cubeman View Post
    The thing about reformatting is that I'd have to remove both OSes since they won't show up under an install CD. I have a few more disk utilities that I need to dig up and try.
    that is why I'd say that you have a partition table problem.

Beans

Thanks for your input cyberdork. I managed to set everything straight using TestDisk.