Thread: dpkg-buildpackage error

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

dpkg-buildpackage error

I'm trying to create a .deb package from some python source code using the guide here. I keep getting an error: must specify package since control info has many ()

I included the whole output in case it is of use finding the problem. Attached my control file as well, since it gave warnings about it.
    Code:
    dpkg-buildpackage: set CFLAGS to default value: -g -O2
    dpkg-buildpackage: set CPPFLAGS to default value: 
    dpkg-buildpackage: set LDFLAGS to default value: -Wl,-Bsymbolic-functions
    dpkg-buildpackage: set FFLAGS to default value: -g -O2
    dpkg-buildpackage: set CXXFLAGS to default value: -g -O2
    dpkg-buildpackage: source package mtp-lastfm
    dpkg-buildpackage: source version 0.5-1
    dpkg-buildpackage: source changed by Daniel Woodhouse <wodemoneke@gmail.com>
    dpkg-buildpackage: host architecture i386
     debian/rules clean
    dh_testdir
    dh_testroot
    rm -f build-stamp configure-stamp
    dh_clean 
     dpkg-source -b mtp-lastfm-0.5
    dpkg-source: warning: unknown information field 'Package' in input data in general section of control info file
    dpkg-source: warning: unknown information field 'Version' in input data in general section of control info file
    dpkg-source: warning: unknown information field 'Architecture' in input data in general section of control info file
    dpkg-source: warning: unknown information field 'Installed-Size' in input data in general section of control info file
    dpkg-source: warning: unknown information field 'Depends' in input data in general section of control info file
    dpkg-source: warning: unknown information field 'Description' in input data in general section of control info file
    dpkg-source: info: using source format `1.0'
    dpkg-source: info: building mtp-lastfm in mtp-lastfm_0.5-1.tar.gz
    dpkg-source: info: building mtp-lastfm in mtp-lastfm_0.5-1.dsc
    dpkg-source: warning: missing information for output field Architecture
    dpkg-source: warning: missing information for output field Standards-Version
     debian/rules build
    dh_testdir
    # Add here commands to configure the package.
    touch configure-stamp
    dh_testdir
    touch build-stamp
     debian/rules binary
    dh_testdir
    dh_testroot
    dh_clean -k 
    dh_installdirs
    #install for python progs	
    mkdir -p /home/wode/programming/current/builds/mtp-lastfm-0.5/debian/mtp-lastfm
    mkdir -p /home/wode/programming/current/builds/mtp-lastfm-0.5/debian/mtp-lastfm/usr/share/mtp-lastfm
    cp COPYING /home/wode/programming/current/builds/mtp-lastfm-0.5/debian/mtp-lastfm/usr/share/mtp-lastfm
    cp dbClass.py /home/wode/programming/current/builds/mtp-lastfm-0.5/debian/mtp-lastfm/usr/share/mtp-lastfm
    cp logger.py /home/wode/programming/current/builds/mtp-lastfm-0.5/debian/mtp-lastfm/usr/share/mtp-lastfm
    cp mtp-lastfm-gtk /home/wode/programming/current/builds/mtp-lastfm-0.5/debian/mtp-lastfm/usr/share/mtp-lastfm
    cp scrobbler.py /home/wode/programming/current/builds/mtp-lastfm-0.5/debian/mtp-lastfm/usr/share/mtp-lastfm
    cp songdata.py /home/wode/programming/current/builds/mtp-lastfm-0.5/debian/mtp-lastfm/usr/share/mtp-lastfm
    cp songview.py /home/wode/programming/current/builds/mtp-lastfm-0.5/debian/mtp-lastfm/usr/share/mtp-lastfm
    cp webservices.py /home/wode/programming/current/builds/mtp-lastfm-0.5/debian/mtp-lastfm/usr/share/mtp-lastfm
    cp mtp-lastfm.png /home/wode/programming/current/builds/mtp-lastfm-0.5/debian/mtp-lastfm/usr/share/mtp-lastfm
    cp -r glade/ /home/wode/programming/current/builds/mtp-lastfm-0.5/debian/mtp-lastfm/usr/share/mtp-lastfm
    mkdir -p /home/wode/programming/current/builds/mtp-lastfm-0.5/debian/mtp-lastfm/usr/share/applications
    cp mtp-lastfm.desktop /home/wode/programming/current/builds/mtp-lastfm-0.5/debian/mtp-lastfm/usr/share/applications
    mkdir -p /home/wode/programming/current/builds/mtp-lastfm-0.5/debian/mtp-lastfm/usr/share/doc/mtp-lastfm
    cp README.textile /home/wode/programming/current/builds/mtp-lastfm-0.5/debian/mtp-lastfm/usr/share/doc/mtp-lastfm
    dh_testdir
    dh_testroot
    dh_installchangelogs 
    dh_installdocs
    dh_installexamples
    dh_installman
    dh_link
    dh_strip
    dh_compress
    dh_fixperms
    dh_installdeb
    dh_shlibdeps
    dh_gencontrol
    dpkg-gencontrol: error: must specify package since control info has many ()
    dh_gencontrol: command returned error code 65280
    make: *** [binary-arch] Error 1
    dpkg-buildpackage: failure: debian/rules binary gave error exit status 2
    Attached Files Attached Files

Beans

Re: dpkg-buildpackage error

That control file is rather strange.

The canonical description lists the source package first, followed by the binary name. You shouldn't have installed-size or version or any of those in the control file.

I don't maintain any python packages but you can see the basic structure for some other packages I maintain here:

http://git.debian.org/?p=collab-main...f5700c;hb=HEAD

http://git.debian.org/?p=collab-main...afaf57;hb=HEAD

dpkg-source gives you those warnings precisely because your control file should include none of that.

Also, that guide has some errors. You should use "dh_install" to install files if there is no file renaming involved. You should use a debian/dirs file to create directories, not mkdir -p.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Great thanks for your help, I have a working deb file now.

I got confused with the control file because I opened one up and used that as a basis for mine, but I see that it gets changed in the build process.

Beans

I think you were confusing the output of apt-cache policy with the control file.

Control files that are changed during the build process (not control.in files used in some packages though) are rejected from the Debian (and by proxy) Ubuntu archives.

http://ftp-master.debian.org/REJECT-FAQ.html

http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=311724