Thread: Taking picture when an incorrect password is entered

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Taking picture when an incorrect password is entered

I just heard of what i think is a good idea. When an incorrect password is entered, a picture is taken later revealing who has been trying to gain access. This would be a great idea for laptops.

I have searched around and the only thing i have found is stuff to do this on macs. Has anyone ever tried this or heard anything about this?

Beans

Re: Taking picture when an incorrect password is entered

Quote Originally Posted by suzypeppercorn View Post
    I just heard of what i think is a good idea. When an incorrect password is entered, a picture is taken later revealing who has been trying to gain access. This would be a great idea for laptops.

I have searched around and the only thing i have found is stuff to do this on macs. Has anyone ever tried this or heard anything about this?
    Launch a script to grab a picture from the webcam after x attempts and mail/sms the pic? It could work in larger offices for desktop access (company espionage) but most use windows. Unless there's a linux system that's handling the security camera's and software on the windows desktop that activates a (security) camera nearby by communicating with the linux server.

It would be a nice feature in case your laptop got stolen, although a thief would have to connect it to the internet through LAN (which would be unlikely, unless it's a very dumb thief), wifi wouldn't work because you need to login to connect to a new wifi network.

Maybe in a couple of years when built-in UMTS modems + subscriptions are standard on laptops?
    Last edited by Sander79; March 10th, 2009 at 10:13 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

i wasn't really thinking of anything on that big of a scale. i was only thinking of it for my laptop and i didn't even really think about emailing the picture.

The only use for me would be to see if anyone was trying to gain access to my laptop when its laying around at a party or something. (not that i have any sensitive data on it. i just thought it would be a cool thing to do.)

Can anyone lead me in the right direction on how to make this script? Is there any documentation for this? Would the script be dependent on whether i was running Gnome or KDE?

Thanks for helping this noob out.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu Jaunty Jackalope (testing)

well, you can't really prevent theft but if you value the data, you rather should have a look at encryption. Everybody could just boot up the system with a bood cd and access the data on it.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

It would be a nice feature in case your laptop got stolen, although a thief would have to connect it to the internet through LAN (which would be unlikely, unless it's a very dumb thief), wifi wouldn't work because you need to login to connect to a new wifi network.
    If thieves were smart, they'd never get caught.

Jim

Beans

You also have to remember not all laptops have a camera on them and even if they do, a simple piece of ducktape or any other type of no transparent tape would render this useless in a matter of seconds.