Thread: Can I use my Microsoft Zune with Ubuntu?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Can I use my Microsoft Zune with Ubuntu?

Hi, I have just installed Ubuntu and was wondering if there was any way of getting it to work with my Zune? I'm a complete noob and any help would be appreciated as I don't have a computer with windows on to fall back on. I don't want to scrap my mp3 player because my operating system won't play ball.

Many thanks.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: Can I use my Microsoft Zune with Ubuntu?

Gareth,

I think you might be a bit stuck. From what I've been able to find out, zune doesn't play nice with non-MS operating systems.

The first option I looked at was to use WINE, and application to allow windows apps to run under linux. Unfortunately it looks like this won't work for the zune software.

The other option which may work is to install something like VirtualBox of VMWare, which allows you to install and run guest operating systems on your ubuntu machine, without having to dual boot.

There's a discussion of this at http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=646969

Hope this helps,

Dave Mac

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Thanks for the update. I will attempt to find a solution on the suggested thread.

Cheers again

Beans

Is this Zune similar to Zune for Windows Phone?
    Sorry I am completely new to Ubuntu and now stuck without Zune for my Lumia 510

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

From the forum rules:

If a post is older than a year or so and hasn't had a new reply in that time, instead of replying to it, create a new thread. In the software world, a lot can change in a very short time, and doing things this way makes it more likely that you will find the best information. You may link to the original discussion in the new thread if you think it may be helpful.
    Forum DOs and DON'Ts
    Never assume that information you find using a search engine is up-to-date.