Thread: Winbond Electronics Corp W89C33D 802.11 a/b/g

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

Winbond Electronics Corp W89C33D 802.11 a/b/g

Hi Forum,

I've just installed Ubuntu x64 on a TCM Cytron x64 PC. This one is from Tchibo but there should be a similar device from Aldi/Medion.

Code:
    lspci -v
    gives
    00:11.0 Ethernet controller: Winbond Electronics Corp W89C33D 802.11 a/b/g BB/MAC
    Subsystem: Winbond Electronics Corp W89C33D 802.11 a/b/g BB/MAC
    Flags: medium devsel
    I/O ports at 2000 [disabled] [size=256]
    I/O ports at 1080 [disabled] [size=128]
    Memory at 48021000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [disabled] [size=512]
    Capabilities: <access denied>
    A google search on this driver for Ubuntu gives a lot of not happy people also trying to install...

Windbond have a manual http://www.winbond-usa.com/products/...f_20050622.pdf, which I found via google. This document claims at least a Linux 2.4 kernel driver. However, there is no mention of WLAN products on thier site at all.

Did anyone have any joy installing?

Richard

Beans

Re: Winbond Electronics Corp W89C33D 802.11 a/b/g

fairly old thread, but im having the same problem. Any way to install this driver? if so, could you please give some newbie friendly instructions. Thanks in advance.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

I never got it to work so I sold the system. Had all kinds of problems with the low-end PC including some serious degradation of the flat pannel. Can't recomend the Tchibo PC. Gto about 15 Euros in Ebay for the unit sold as defect.

Good luck.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I helped a user with this card a long time ago but the thread kind of died so I never know what happened. The only way I might suggest a solution would be to use ndiswrapper with the winxp version of the driver. I have no idea if this will work, however there doesn't seem to be a native driver available for this card the last time I checked (~ 6 months ago).