Thread: Compaq V5214ea Wireless problem

Beans

Compaq V5214ea Wireless problem

I got the CD of Ubuntu 8.10 desktop and put in my Compaq laptop.
    As I see now it has booted from the Live CD.
    How can I tell if Ubuntu has found the wireless network function & configure it if necessary?
    The laptop has a button for the Wireless function, that normally glows when active. Thus I assume it is not working because the tell-tale glow is not on.
    If I stick a network cable into the appropriate port I can browse the Web.
    Where do I find if the hardware has been detected?
    I would like to work out the bugs while running the Live CD.
    If it is possible to get the wireless networking activated then I will probably install Ubuntu 8.10. is there a Ubuntu for laptop distro?

Beans

Re: Compaq V5214ea Wireless problem

I remembered that in my laptop bag I have a WLAN Dongle so I re-booted with that plugged in a USB port.
    The icon on the toolbar shows the presence of the device and the Hewlett Packard Company BCM4311 020.11b/g Wireless.
    It is greyed out & selecting it was thus not possible.
    Is that better information to work with?
    This is being typed on the Compaq in Ubuntu. If i have to I will always use the dongle, but it is an irritant that there is a device that does not want to work that will do the same job.

Beans

I did a proper install, XP is gone forever!
    Ubuntu works well with the dongle WLAN, but it is a mild irritant that I do not have the internal WLAN active. The drop-down box that appears after you click on the network icon shows the internal adapter, as I said in post #2. It is in pale greay so I assume that although it is detected there is some reason why it is not functional. Has anyone got any ideas?

Beans

in a Terminal window do:
    Code:
    lshw -C network
    ndiswrapper -l
    Then post the output here.

lkraemer

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

it's grayed because you have to install the drivers for the wireless card, here's a guide that may help you

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Wi...eisty_No-Fluff
    Laptop: HP Pavilion dv6t-3100 CTO, Intel i5 2.5 Ghz, 4 GB RAM, Intel HD Graphics, 500 GB HDD.
    Desktop: Pentium IV 2.8 Ghz, 1 GB RAM, Nvidia Geforce FX 5200 128 MB, D-Link DWA-510 wireless card, 80 GB HDD.