Page 7 of 27 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: Netflix streaming on Linux?!

Beans

Re: Netflix streaming on Linux!!

Quote Originally Posted by snowpine View Post
    ..major motion picture studios don't want a bunch of "hackers and pirates" (public perception of Linux users) stealing their movies...
    Since most people use windows the truth is that the majority of hackers and pirates are windows users. That just burns me everytime I hear that!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by jeremyjjbrown View Post
    Your probably right. But, the truth is it doesn't stop anything, it only makes it worse. It just makes people mad, who wants to crack a smeary silverlight stream with flickers and tears when you can easily crack an blueray and compress it in a much better format. I know people now who only use cracked stuff out of principle. They have the money, their just not going to give to a corporation to control them.
    As further evidence...

DRM Content Drives Availability On P2P Networks [slashdot.org]

"The music industry once feared that going DRM-free would drive a massive explosion of copyright-infringing music availability on P2P networks. Now, a new study seems to suggest otherwise. The answer is obvious: if you can easily get inexpensive DRM-free content that works on your devices through legitimate channels, most people won't bother with the headache of P2P networks. It appears that users largely turn to P2P to acquire DRM-free versions of content that is distributed with DRM. The MPAA, of course, will not come away from this with the obvious conclusion."

XKCD says it best:

Last edited by AldenIsZen; January 31st, 2010 at 10:32 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Netflix... eh the ol' lady who refuses to budge. It's odd that I can "instantly add to que" the movies I want to watch, but then must watch them through my Xbox 360 lol.
    "Nothing is certain until you are certain of nothing."

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by BT1 View Post
    Netflix... eh the ol' lady who refuses to budge. It's odd that I can "instantly add to que" the movies I want to watch, but then must watch them through my Xbox 360 lol.
    Well it looks like HTML5 has the potential to supplant at least Flash, possibly silverlight. YouTube, Vimeo, Google, and Apple are all starting to support the idea of using HTML5 for a standard for video and audio.

It requires no plugins or codecs - it is supported by any HTML5-compliant web browser. HTML5 is still in draft phase and has some patent/licensing issues to work out but there is a lot of promise!

If you want to get a taste of HTML5 embedded videos, check out Google Labs.

This is an opt-in experiment for HTML5 support on YouTube. If you are using a supported browser, you can choose to use the HTML5 player instead of the Flash player for most videos.

Supported Browsers

Right now we support browsers that support both the video tag in HTML5 and the h.264 video codec. These include:

* Google Chrome
    * Apple Safari (version 4+)
    * Microsoft Internet Explorer with Google Chrome Frame installed (Get Google Chrome Frame)

Updates!

* 1/27/2010: Fullscreen support enabled (if supported by browser).

Additional Restrictions (we are working on these!)

* Videos with ads are not supported (they will play in the Flash player)
    * Fullscreen is not supported
    * If you've opted in to other testtube experiments, you may not get the HTML5 player (Feather is supported, though)
    http://youtube.com/html5

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Looks like Firefox isn't planning to support HTML5 video though... bummer. I loves me Firefox. I think if I keep my Netflix account it will only be so my father can watch movies. He is never in Linux anyway since his PC isn't supported... I really need to get him a new one.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by AldenIsZen View Post
    Looks like Firefox isn't planning to support HTML5 video though... bummer. I loves me Firefox. I think if I keep my Netflix account it will only be so my father can watch movies. He is never in Linux anyway since his PC isn't supported... I really need to get him a new one.
    Firefox is supporting the Ogg codec, which is open source. The H.264 codec is closed source. So that's the problem right now. But all the browsers will support the <video> tag.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by davidryder View Post
    Firefox is supporting the Ogg codec, which is open source. The H.264 codec is closed source. So that's the problem right now. But all the browsers will support the <video> tag.
    Which is all fine and dandy, except by what I understand Ogg just doesn't cut it, and there is no comparable open source equivalent to H.264. But I feel it is all very complicated (even more??? lol) and that Google and Chrome are going to change things for Firefox due to this very thing.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Well, in response to the original subject of this excellent thread, Moonlight 2.0 is now available for download!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by davidryder View Post
    I got past the version check, and have Moonlight (open source silverlight alternative) but I get a message saying Silverlight is not installed

Does anyone have any ideas?

By the way, I used a Firefox plug-in called Modify Headers to get past the OS check at Netflix.

Type: Modify
    Name: User-Agent
    Value: Mozilla/5.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Windows NT 6.0)

I feel I am soooo close!
    I just logged in using the newest Moonlight and used Modify Headers to spoof a Windows machine, and everything loads just fine. Moonlight gives a message during loading saying that Netflix is now running Silverlight 3 and users may encounter errors, blah blah.

The real problem, that which will derail your streaming right as it's about to begin, is a message saying "This stream is DRM-protected which Moonlight doesn't currently handle". Curses.
    Last edited by ifraser; February 16th, 2010 at 09:05 PM. Reason: Spellcheck!

Beans

The DRM issue is the fundamental thing and that will never happen without Microsoft's help. I gave up on the pipe dream of Netflix in Linux some months ago.

Page 7 of 27 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast