Page 25 of 27 FirstFirst ... 152324252627 LastLast

Thread: Netflix streaming on Linux?!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Re: Netflix streaming on Linux?!

I just got off the phone with a guy at netflix that uses ubuntu. He said that netflix would be open to fully support linux if somebody could write a limited version of drm that only restricted netflix so it couldn't be downloaded from the stream. By fully support, he means it just works with no backdoor programs to get around stuff. Someone NEEDS to get something like that written. That is the end-all-be-all solution. I don't code yet but I think there is at least one person on this site that has enough experience to get this done, right?
    "I don't care if he is 8, I'm putting that kid on a milk carton!" - Anthony Bourdain
    I'm also on Little Big Planetarium.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by Super_Dork_42 View Post
    I just got off the phone with a guy at netflix that uses ubuntu. He said that netflix would be open to fully support linux if somebody could write a limited version of drm that only restricted netflix so it couldn't be downloaded from the stream. By fully support, he means it just works with no backdoor programs to get around stuff. Someone NEEDS to get something like that written. That is the end-all-be-all solution. I don't code yet but I think there is at least one person on this site that has enough experience to get this done, right?
    I think the problem is that someone here could right the necessary code. The other side to that coin is, because of the open-source nature of Linux, someone else probably has the tools to crack that code. I could be completely wrong in my assessment...
    Desktop; Older HP Desktop - Kubuntu 14.04 x64
    Laptop; Newer Sager NP9150 - Win 7 Home x64

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Arrow Re: Netflix streaming on Linux?!

Quote Originally Posted by loaba View Post
    I think the problem is that someone here could right the necessary code. The other side to that coin is, because of the open-source nature of Linux, someone else probably has the tools to crack that code. I could be completely wrong in my assessment...
    No your absolutely right. Netflix is just scared if they allow streaming someone will steal the content, but my argument is if they are so worried about stealing the content there are plenty of other services available already to go watch these shows. That is the kicker.

Beans

See, that someone has to be someone(s) like Google. The studios aren't going to let some schmo have the keys to the kingdom. No way no how. And it's not Netflix's bag.

No your absolutely right. Netflix is just scared if they allow streaming someone will steal the content, but my argument is if they are so worried about stealing the content there are plenty of other services available already to go watch these shows. That is the kicker.
    Like I said, it's not not Netflix's deal. They'd love to open the content to the widest possible audience, but I think it's ultimately the studios' misconception that having Linux DRM means they'd necessarily get hacked. I think our best bet is for Google to implement the proper DRM in ChromeOS, and by extension, Chrome browser in basic Linux. Netflix wants this as bad as we do, but their hands are tied since Netflix is not a content owner, just a content pusher.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by ectospasm View Post
    Like I said, it's not not Netflix's deal. They'd love to open the content to the widest possible audience, but I think it's ultimately the studios' misconception that having Linux DRM means they'd necessarily get hacked. I think our best bet is for Google to implement the proper DRM in ChromeOS, and by extension, Chrome browser in basic Linux. Netflix wants this as bad as we do, but their hands are tied since Netflix is not a content owner, just a content pusher.
    They Will never truely support Linux, If you read this article you will be amazed at the discussion some had with an Netflix employee:

http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/ope...community/1745

I'll let you decide but there would be no cost to Netflix if they let us handle the DRM. I have no problem with DRM if they would allow it on the Linux machines. I seriously doubt they are concerned with linux just yet. It took them forever to go the Apple Machines, it is as if they are just dragging their feet in the mud trying desperately to hold off opening it up to Linux machines!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Laforge129 View Post
    They Will never truely support Linux, If you read this article you will be amazed at the discussion some had with an Netflix employee:

http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/ope...community/1745

I'll let you decide but there would be no cost to Netflix if they let us handle the DRM. I have no problem with DRM if they would allow it on the Linux machines. I seriously doubt they are concerned with linux just yet. It took them forever to go the Apple Machines, it is as if they are just dragging their feet in the mud trying desperately to hold off opening it up to Linux machines!
    How many times do I have to scream this? It's not Netflix dragging their feet, it's either Microsoft (due to Netflix's reliance on Silverlight) or more likely the content producers (Movie/TV studios) that won't allow the powers that be (at first Novell with Moonlight, and now Google) to implement the DRM stack in Linux. I've called Netflix at least three times, even canceling my subscription the first time. At least the last customer service representative I spoke with--and his manager--agreed that they were strong supporters of Netflix streaming on Linux. They are mere foot soldiers, and could probably be paying lip service to us. They did assure me they'd pass my complaints along to the right people, or at least up the chain. So we need to keep up the pressure.

Maybe Google can succeed, because they're at least bigger and have more clout than Novell ever could at this stage. I am holding my breath, but it may not happen. If it does happen, I'd be surprised if Google writes a plugin to work with Mozilla, or any non-Chromium-based browser. DRM is not the kind of thing that can be open-sourced completely. Any DFSG-like nuts are crazy to expect that level of openness.

Beans
    Distro

Thumbs down Re: Netflix streaming on Linux?!

Quote Originally Posted by ectospasm View Post
    How many times do I have to scream this? It's not Netflix dragging their feet, it's either Microsoft (due to Netflix's reliance on Silverlight) or more likely the content producers (Movie/TV studios) that won't allow the powers that be (at first Novell with Moonlight, and now Google) to implement the DRM stack in Linux. I've called Netflix at least three times, even canceling my subscription the first time. At least the last customer service representative I spoke with--and his manager--agreed that they were strong supporters of Netflix streaming on Linux. They are mere foot soldiers, and could probably be paying lip service to us. They did assure me they'd pass my complaints along to the right people, or at least up the chain. So we need to keep up the pressure.

Maybe Google can succeed, because they're at least bigger and have more clout than Novell ever could at this stage. I am holding my breath, but it may not happen. If it does happen, I'd be surprised if Google writes a plugin to work with Mozilla, or any non-Chromium-based browser. DRM is not the kind of thing that can be open-sourced completely. Any DFSG-like nuts are crazy to expect that level of openness.
    It isn't the content providers. If it were they wouldn't allow me to stream their shows on my Kubuntu OS. I've already watched the Big Bang Theory from my linux machine and discovery channel clips and shows. I must re-interate it isn't the content providers it is the license holders. They want you to come to them not to Netflix, but that is the besides the point. Netflix isn't pushing the issue because they are DRAGGING Their feet on this. I know, because I have been watching all the drama. If Netflix wanted to they could do it easily. Afterall, The Roku is linux machine. So yes if they are so worried about DRM they wouldn't of ported to the Roku box!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 15.04 Vivid Vervet

Re: Netflix streaming on Linux!!

Quote Originally Posted by DavidFourer View Post
    I talked to a phone rep at Netflix who said, off the record, that they will probably switch to something Linux compatible soon.
    I just called them and got the exact same story... two years later!
    Last edited by CharlesA; June 13th, 2011 at 01:01 AM. Reason: fixed quote
    "Named must your fear be before banish it you can."

Beans
    Distro

Post Re: Netflix streaming on Linux!!

Quote Originally Posted by pbhill View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidFourer View Post
    I talked to a phone rep at Netflix who said, off the record, that they will probably switch to something Linux compatible soon.
    I just called them and got the exact same story... two years later!
    Oh That sounds like they are just reading a script. Just to have a place to almost answer the question!!
    Last edited by CharlesA; June 13th, 2011 at 01:01 AM. Reason: fixed quote

Beans

Re: Netflix streaming on Linux!!

Quote Originally Posted by Laforge129 View Post
    Oh That sounds like they are just reading a script. Just to have a place to almost answer the question!!
    You didn't suspect that the FIRST time they said it?
    Life is an extraordinarily long concatenation of luck and coincidence.

Page 25 of 27 FirstFirst ... 152324252627 LastLast