Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: rEFIt "F" Up!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: rEFIt "F" Up!

Quote Originally Posted by WA_Garrett View Post
    I'm wondering if that warning is supposed to come up and if it does or doesn't matter in this case. I'm not having any trouble booting in any of my operating systems or accessing any drives(I just have that extra inoperable Tux pop up in rEFIt) so I'm abit worried about running this command.
    I believe the warning is normal.

Also, not knowing much about MBRs, I'm curious to know how this will help rEFIt realize I only have 3 boot-able partitions rather than 4 (which I don't have).
    you have more than one tux, because you have a linux bootloader in more than one location. (One in the MBR, the other on the Ubuntu partition.) Windows' bootloader can only be installed to the MBR (and on a PC, you replace it with GRUB and use grub to chainload windows). On the Mac, the EFI system is capable of booting the MBR or any other partition directly (while a PC's BIOS can usually only executable the bootloader from the MBR). Since Grub does not have to be in the MBR, you can put windows' bootloader back there, overwriting the installation of GRUB in the MBR. Then you will have 3 icons in rEFIt. One for OSX (bootloader is an efi executable on your OSX partition), one for windows (in the MBR), and one for Linux (on the Linux partition).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by cyberdork33 View Post
    I believe the warning is normal.
    Hey, I executed FIXMBR and it worked. I just have 3 Icons in rEFIt now and I can still boot from Ubuntu, OS X, and XP. Thanks Alot.

There's still one thing though, when I boot onto the Linux partition it still brings up the Grub boot loader but atleast now when I boot onto Windows it now goes directly to Windows.
    Last edited by WA_Garrett; March 18th, 2009 at 04:23 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by IsmailBhai View Post
    Boy, I wish I knew about that tutorial when I was just getting started with triple booting. But thanks for it, I bet it might come in handy in the future sometime.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by WA_Garrett View Post
    There's still one thing though, when I boot onto the Linux partition it still brings up the Grub boot loader but atleast now when I boot onto Windows it now goes directly to Windows.
    That's normal. You have to use GRUB (or some other bootloader like lilo) to load a Linux kernel. You can edit the grub config file to shorten the delay to boot into the default entry, and turn on "hidden menu" which prompts you to hit esc to see the menu at all.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12