Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: rEFIt "F" Up!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

rEFIt "F" Up!

I'm triple booting on my Macbook (Tiger, Hardy, XP) using rEFIt. Recently I had to reinstall Ubuntu on my ext3 partition. After I reinstalled Ubuntu, rEFIt Registered 2 Linux partitions on it (rather than one) (I did not create any new partitions when I reinstalled Ubuntu, I just installed over the existing installation)

My partitioning Scheme is like this
    200 mb for EFI
    92 GB for OS X
    11 GB for Ubuntu
    9 GB for WIN

Previously when booting, rEFIt had 3 boot options, 1st the Apple Logo (For OS X), 2nd Tux (For my Linux Distro) and 3rd Windows (For Windows). Now it looks like this. 1st the Apple Logo (For OS X, boots normally by the way), 2nd Tux (Non Functional) and 3rd another Tux (Brings Up BIOS type boot option selector) and 4th Windows (Brings Up same BIOS type boot option selector). So the first Tux Doesn't work the 2nd tux and windows logo both bring up the same BIOS type boot option selector, where you have to use the up down arrow keys to choose between windows or Linux.

Now all 3 of my operating systems seem to be working fine by the way. But this whole extra tux thing is just annoying me to insanity, considering on how I didn't create any new partitions either.

I'm wondering if anyone knows how I could tell rEFIt that I only have 3 OSes instead of 4. Now I have everything working fine on all my OSes so I would appreciate it if any ideas didn't require the re-installation of any OSes. I would appreciate any ideas/advice about this situation though.

Thank you to whoever reads this.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: rEFIt "F" Up!

I haven't had this problem myself, but I've heard of it. I think it might be related to your new install of ubuntu messing up the partition table for refit. One thing you could try would be to go into the refit menu and sync partition tables. Hopefully that will solve it. If not there are other options like using a live cd to manually reinstall grub, but that's beyond my knowledge.
    Macbook 2,1 2.16 Core 2 Duo / 2Gb Ram / 120Gb HDD: Ubuntu Studio 9.04 64 Bit/ Mac OS X 10.4.11

Registered Linux User # 449355 / Registered Ubuntu User # 16921

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

maybe you installed grub to mbr the second time around?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by Rog-Mahal View Post
    I haven't had this problem myself, but I've heard of it. I think it might be related to your new install of ubuntu messing up the partition table for refit. One thing you could try would be to go into the refit menu and sync partition tables. Hopefully that will solve it. If not there are other options like using a live cd to manually reinstall grub, but that's beyond my knowledge.
    The first thing I tried when this happened was I went into rEFIt's Partitioning tool to see if I could update the MBR partition table but it listed my 4 partitions and said the tables were in sync. I then booted up in my live CD and followed the instructions at this page http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...3&postcount=11 to update grub.

At this point I don't know of anything else I could do.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by inphektion View Post
    If I did, how would I know and how would I just make sure grub is installed once?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by inphektion View Post
    I am pretty sure this is exactly what happened.

You need to reinstall grub (that bios-style boot selector, which is actually the application that loads the linux kernel) to the Ubuntu partition first:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...3&postcount=11

Then boot up your Windows CD into the recovery console and use the FIXMBR command to replace the bootcode in the MBR with the Windows bootloader.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by cyberdork33 View Post
    I am pretty sure this is exactly what happened.

You need to reinstall grub (that bios-style boot selector, which is actually the application that loads the linux kernel) to the Ubuntu partition first:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...3&postcount=11

Then boot up your Windows CD into the recovery console and use the FIXMBR command to replace the bootcode in the MBR with the Windows bootloader.
    I'm uneasy about letting a windows disk take as much control over my booting prospects as asking it to fix my Master Boot Record. Mostly because windows was never designed to triple boot with 2 other operating systems on a mac. I also talked to my friend who knows a little bit about this and he said that doing that might just make it so that I could only boot in windows. Is there any way to change the MBR on the Linux or Mac side?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by WA_Garrett View Post
    I'm uneasy about letting a windows disk take as much control over my booting prospects as asking it to fix my Master Boot Record. Mostly because windows was never designed to triple boot with 2 other operating systems on a mac. I also talked to my friend who knows a little bit about this and he said that doing that might just make it so that I could only boot in windows. Is there any way to change the MBR on the Linux or Mac side?
    Well, since neither OSX or Ubuntu need the MBR boot code to startup, and several people have done just what I said to do and it works, it is pretty safe. I don't think your friend understands the differences between the Mac system and the normal PC system.

When you install windows, it installs it's bootloader in the MBR. Normally, when installing Ubuntu, you want GRUB to take it's place, and allow it load windows and Ubuntu... On the mac, you want refit to handle redirecting control instead of grub so that you don't have to go through two menus to get to windows.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Well, since neither OSX or Ubuntu need the MBR boot code to startup, and several people have done just what I said to do and it works, it is pretty safe. I don't think your friend understands the differences between the Mac system and the normal PC system.

When you install windows, it installs it's bootloader in the MBR. Normally, when installing Ubuntu, you want GRUB to take it's place, and allow it load windows and Ubuntu... On the mac, you want refit to handle redirecting control instead of grub so that you don't have to go through two menus to get to windows.
    I'll try it this weekend when I won't need my computer for anything important and I'll have time to mess with it. Thanks.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

This just might be me, but this process seems like a pretty serious thing, I booted the windows CD and applied the FIXMBR command. Then the following text came up

This computer appears to have a non-standard or invalid Master Boot Record.

FIXMBR may damage your partition tables if you proceed.

This could cause all the partitions on the current hard disk to become inaccessible.

If you are not having problems accessing your dive do not continue.

Are you sure you want to write a new MBR?
    I'm wondering if that warning is supposed to come up and if it does or doesn't matter in this case. I'm not having any trouble booting in any of my operating systems or accessing any drives(I just have that extra inoperable Tux pop up in rEFIt) so I'm abit worried about running this command.

Also, not knowing much about MBRs, I'm curious to know how this will help rEFIt realize I only have 3 boot-able partitions rather than 4 (which I don't have).

Thanks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast