Thread: Programs not showing file menu

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Programs not showing file menu - SOLVED!

Folks: I've been noticing something odd lately, Gwenview, and several other programs have lost the menu bar

This screen shot of the newest Gwenview: http://gwenview.sourceforge.net/scre...bum=/1.4&pos=0

shows Gwenview as it normally installed: On the menu section that reads 'file edit view...' That isn't showing up on Gwenview, and several *other* programs. I've tried to delete Gwenview's preferences but apparently I was only able to find some of them.

So I'm asking; Does Gwenview use a type of universal menu display, and if so how do you edit, or at least reset it back to normal? De-install, and reinstall doesn't work.

- Kc
    Last edited by kcredden; March 15th, 2009 at 08:15 PM.
    --
    Kevin C. Redden
    kredden@maysville-21921- (DOT) com
    (remove the -21921- to e-mail me)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Jaunty Jackalope (testing)

Re: Programs not showing file menu

Well you could try deleting the config files for Gwenview or whatever by hand. That will set it to default.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Well, I deinstalled Gwenview, then used Krusader to search though my entire system, and I deleted all files marked 'gwenview'. But still it's only partly back to normal. The file menu as I mentioned before is still not showing up. Is there other files I'm missing?

Quote Originally Posted by Neo_The_User View Post
    Well you could try deleting the config files for Gwenview or whatever by hand. That will set it to default.
    --
    Kevin C. Redden

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

I finally solved this:

I don't know what the command line version is, but if you use KDE 3.5 in Ubuntu 8.04.01, on the desktop, right click it, and it pulls up a menu that starts with:

Create New, Run command...

Go down to: Configure Desktop, pulls up the menu marked:

configure - Kdesktop

In 'Behavior'

If you have 'current application's menu bar (Mac OS-Style) marked, this is the source of this. Instead select 'Desktop menu bar' for a standard bar.

I'm not sure exactly what is going on here, but it affects KATE, Kopete, and Gwenview as far as I know.

Hopefully this will stop someone's headaches, I found ths answer totally by accident this morning.

- Kc
    --
    Kevin C. Redden