Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: boot issues on a mac pro

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: boot issues on a mac pro

Here is a screen shot of refit boot with grub files in Mac osx root, now at least i have a workable. all be it, round about access to Ubuntu, thanks, for that.
    By clicking on the new grub configuration i now have a choice of osx or a linux boot off hd 4,4. There remains the messy blind alley icons of linux and legacy viewable in refit, and osx options (labeled Windows in Osx without refit start). I can live with them, but it would be nice to fix cleanly.
    I am glad Bean123 has been able to read frame buffer, the error message could be from having the 2nd monitor connected, which is inactive with the refit, grub, menus, however in reverse, Ubuntu uses the large alt monitor but does not access the small monitor where all grub and refit pages appear. Osx of course uses both in Split Screen mode.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by desertskymc; March 18th, 2009 at 01:18 AM.

pxwpxw is offline Chocolate Ubuntu Mocha Blend
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Quote Originally Posted by desertskymc View Post
    Here is a screen shot of refit boot with grub files in Mac osx root, now at least i have a workable. all be it, round about access to Ubuntu, thanks, for that.
    By clicking on the new grub configuration i now have a choice of osx or a linux boot off hd 4,4. There remains the messy blind alley icons of linux and legacy viewable in refit, and osx options (labeled Windows in Osx without refit start). I can live with them, but it would be nice to fix cleanly.
    I am glad Bean123 has been able to read frame buffer, the error message could be from having the 2nd monitor connected, which is inactive with the refit, grub, menus, however in reverse, Ubuntu uses the large alt monitor but does not access the small monitor where all grub and refit pages appear. Osx of course uses both in Split Screen mode.
    If you have ubuntu system on the internal drive running thats good.

Now move grub.icns (your previous scrren shot) to the same level as beans new grub32.efi and grub.cfg in the root of music2, then rename grub.icns to grub32.icns. You should then see the grub icon in rEFIt screen instead of the '3 cubes' default icon.

The other icons and the alternative TUX boot by grub-pc can be tidied up later, after your ubuntu system is reliably running.

Could you please post the text of the grub.cfg file you are now using.
    Also perhaps an update screen shot showing location of the various grub files, some should be removed.
    Last edited by pxwpxw; March 19th, 2009 at 01:27 PM.

Beans
    Distro

here is the Grub .cfg text:

# grub.cfg pxw 20090316
    # comment lines are ignored
    timeout=20
    default=0
    set F1=ctrl-x
    set F2=ctrl-c
    set color_normal=yellow/red
    menuentry "OSX" {
    search --set /usr/standalone/i386/boot.efi
    chainloader /usr/standalone/i386/boot.efi
    }
    menuentry "Linux sdc4" {
    search --set /vmlinuz
    linux /vmlinuz root=/dev/sdc4
    initrd /initrd.img
    }
    menuentry "CD" {
    appleloader CD
    }
    menuentry "MBR1" {
    appleloader HD
    }
    menuentry "REBOOT" {
    reboot
    }
    I occasionally get some bad system boots when the Mac is switched on , grey blank screen, and a boot option of just the Music 2 leopard drive along with written options 'verbose loggin' and some other random text. Grub Icons are now visible on normal refit start.
    Ubuntu boots straight to desktop. I figure the start up will not work until the Grub boot code includes the Frame Buffer info, am I supposed to still use the Grub 2 CD? and how?

I have some issues with Ubuntu, I installed Envyng and now have 2 screens however, I have to set the Nvidia X server settings to twinview on every boot as the settings will not save. Also as I have said previously the boot cd backup application installed from the synaptic package is not visible under any menu i find, and I would like to backup the Ubuntu system as it grows more 'configured' for my use.
    If any body knows now to configure Jack to use an Apoge Rosetta 800 audio interface connected to a Maestro pci in Ubuntu please post, I have seen conflicting info about the possibilities
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by desertskymc; March 18th, 2009 at 07:13 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

I occasionally get some bad system boots when the Mac is switched on , grey blank screen, and a boot option of just the Music 2 leopard drive along with written options 'verbose loggin' and some other random text.
    Sometimes needs a second start or start using the option key.
    Grub Icons are now visible on normal refit start.
    Ubuntu boots straight to desktop. I figure the start up will not work until the Grub boot code includes the Frame Buffer info, am I supposed to still use the Grub 2 CD? and how?
    If you are booting ubuntu desktop now with grub32.efi, that may be all you need. The frame buffer is used by adding 'video=efifb' option to the menuentry and editing the Ubuntu xorg.conf for Driver "fbdev". You only need it if you want to switch to a text console from the desktop - using Control Alt F1.
    Are you using the Grub2 CD.
    If you restart with CD or usb stick, that will change all the grub drive names and cause troble.
    The CD was only for backup.
    I have some issues with Ubuntu, I installed Envyng and now have 2 screens however, I have to set the Nvidia X server settings to twinview on every boot as the settings will not save. Also as I have said previously the boot cd backup application installed from the synaptic package is not visible under any menu i find, and I would like to backup the Ubuntu system as it grows more 'configured' for my use.
    If any body knows now to configure Jack to use an Apoge Rosetta 800 audio interface connected to a Maestro pci in Ubuntu please post, I have seen conflicting info about the possibilities
    Thats beyond my comfort zone, deserves separate threads.

-----

Looking at the pictures -

You can configure to start direct into the grub.efi menu by using the 'bless' function in Mac OSX and set the grub.cfg to default to boot linux, but it is safer to go via the rEFIt screen with Mac OSX default.

In the finder files screen shot, the grub files you are using to boot are the grb32.efi, grub.cfg, grub32.icns in the music2 top level.

The files in the 'grub2021' folder are just text files for information, not used in any way for booting.

If there are any grub files left over in the /efi folder with refit, they are not being used and can be removed.

When you get the Ubuntu grub-pc reinstalled you can boot from the refit TUX icon or using Option key 'windows' disk icon.
    Last edited by pxwpxw; March 19th, 2009 at 03:14 AM.

Beans
    Distro

'When you get the Ubuntu grub-pc reinstalled you can boot from the refit TUX icon or using Option key 'windows' disk icon.'

could you please explain how i do this i would like to have the 'window' partition directed correctly under the optiom key, thanks

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

'When you get the Ubuntu grub-pc reinstalled you can boot from the refit TUX icon or using Option key 'windows' disk icon.'

could you please explain how i do this i would like to have the 'window' partition directed correctly under the optiom key, thanks
    Ok, first need to get updated info on your system, so as to get ubuntu grub configured without breaking something.

Mostly info about drives and partitions, but first about grub on the Ubuntu istallation at sdc4, not grub-efi on the OSX partition.

Remove all CD's and usb sticks.
    Restart into rEFIt screen and run the Partiton Tool, and let it Update the MBR if needed.
    Restart again into ubuntu on sdc4. (I hope you can post direct from ubuntu)

In a terminal run these commands and post the lot.
    Code:
    $ df

$ sudo dpkg -l grub grub-pc

$ uname -a

$ lsb_releasee -a

$ sudo parted /dev/sda p free
    Then restart into Mac OSX, and in a terminal
    Code:
    $ diskutil list
    Should list all 3 drives and partitons.

How to do the actual ubuntu grub reinstall will depend on which grub version found in ubuntu.

Oh, and you need to make a rEFIt CD - download the Mac disk image from refit web site and burn in Mac OSX.
    http://refit.sourceforge.net/
    Last edited by pxwpxw; March 19th, 2009 at 02:06 PM.

Beans
    Distro

df

$ uname -a

$ lsb_releasee -a

this command is responded by 'cant find grub-pc'

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

df

$ uname -a

$ lsb_releasee -a

this command is responded by 'cant find grub-pc'
    Thats ok, what about the other output?

Beans
    Distro

sorry for the delay, not sure what you mean by other output.
    also .....................Update
    I am installing a new promary drive I want to partition this with my Os x 4.11 music disk image, possibly a leopard partition and then a Ubuntu Studio 32bit 8,10 partitition, as you know I have refit in my number 2 drive in a Leopard partition, from refit I have Grub accessing Ubuntu on disk 3: partition 4,4 . and finally 2 Linux ghost options to non existant legacey and linux os partitions on the current primary disk ,which i am replacing. have you any pointers on the best safest drama free way to create this build so all os installs will be available for booting in refit ?
    thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

he gave you 6 different commands, what was the output of each of them?

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234