Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 40

Thread: boot issues on a mac pro

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

    Re: boot issues on a mac pro

    Re-setting grub-pc in ubuntu -

    grub-pc as installed in ubuntu differs comlpletely from grub-efi.

    From ubuntu -
    Assuming the default grub package is installed ( and not grub2-pc )

    Assuming that Mac OSX is on drive /dev/sda and grub-pc stage1 will boot from there -

    This will reinstall grub files in ubuntu and grub bootcopde to the MBR of sda, and rewrite the grub-pc menu.lst. Hopefully it will correctly find the sda MBR.
    Code:
    $ sudo grub-install /dev/sda
    $ sudo update-grub
    Edit /boot/grub/menu.lst to increase timeout and comment out 'hidden menu'
    Code:
    timeout		13
    ## hiddenmenu
    Restart into refit and select the Partitoning Tool icon, update the MBR, restart again should give a TUX icon for grub-pc menu.

    If anything fails, use grub32.efi to boot back into ubuntu to try something else.

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

    Re: boot issues on a mac pro

    That instruction for reinstalling grub-pc assumed you were booted into ubuntu. You can possibly get a Supergrub cd or a grub2 cd download in OSX and burn to rescue boot the ubuntu OS, then as above, also better check the 'recover' or 'rescue'option on your install CD, it may let you boot other drives.
    It gets more difficult if you try to do multiple drives when not booted into the ubuntu HD installation. But if bean can fix the frame buffer address that is a good option. The amd64 should not be a problem at this stage, wait until you have a stable boot to evaluate it.

    Try this one -
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1057600
    Last edited by pxwpxw; March 16th, 2009 at 08:14 AM.

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Beans
    26
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 10.04 Lucid Lynx

    Re: boot issues on a mac pro

    i edited the grub in ubuntu, have no idea how or where to edit grub list: timeout 13
    ## hiddenmenu
    putting the grub.cgi in the efi folder with grub32.efi had no visable effect on the menu , and i have discovered the grub32 efi command that boots ubuntu is sdc4 not sdc2 if that has any significance.
    changing the grub in ubuntu has had no effect in the refit partitioning table, all is synced. and no changes to the refit icon menu have been implemented so far.

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

    Re: boot issues on a mac pro

    Quote Originally Posted by desertskymc View Post
    i edited the grub in ubuntu, have no idea how or where to edit grub list: timeout 13
    ## hiddenmenu
    putting the grub.cgi in the efi folder with grub32.efi had no visable effect on the menu , and i have discovered the grub32 efi command that boots ubuntu is sdc4 not sdc2 if that has any significance.
    changing the grub in ubuntu has had no effect in the refit partitioning table, all is synced. and no changes to the refit icon menu have been implemented so far.

    grub.cgi? grub.cfg?
    supposed to be in the root, not in /efi.
    The grub.cfg I gave you has root=/dev/sdc4.
    No point trynig to edit menu.lst util you can boot into ubuntu on the HD.

    Try that grub2-pc rescue cd, it may do it.

    Better confirm what you have been using to boot grub32.efi, maybe you got a lucky configuration.

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Beans
    26
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 10.04 Lucid Lynx

    Re: boot issues on a mac pro

    bean 123
    i ran the numbers in efi shell for the display controller
    the last page did not reveal any bit info the last line looks like this the other 20 or so have only changes in the front ie 00000fa0

    last line:
    00000ff0: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00-00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 *..........*
    if you want me to check previous pages let me know thanks

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

    Re: boot issues on a mac pro

    Quote Originally Posted by desertskymc View Post
    bean 123
    i ran the numbers in efi shell for the display controller
    the last page did not reveal any bit info the last line looks like this the other 20 or so have only changes in the front ie 00000fa0

    last line:
    00000ff0: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00-00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 *..........*
    if you want me to check previous pages let me know thanks
    See my post $#16 and attached picture - what you are looking for.

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Beans
    26
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 10.04 Lucid Lynx

    Re: boot issues on a mac pro

    sorry typo .cfg is the suffix, I dont get it! all the grub32.efi etc files are in the efi folder and they work, as in boot in refit menu, and that is where they are in your jpg guide it would appear, please tell me explicitly where the 'root' is in which they should be placed, bearing in mind they currently work, except for the file i added, by the way there was an identically named file grub.cfg i removed rather than overwriting to put the latest one in
    another strange thing i dont have a grub64.efi in the folder yet it comes up in refit menu as well as the 32 maybe its reading them from the mac desktop? as thats where i have the only copy, wierd
    I was unable to get the grub2 CD it appears to be a broken link,please post a live one if you know where it resides, thanks

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

    Re: boot issues on a mac pro

    Quote Originally Posted by desertskymc View Post
    sorry typo .cfg is the suffix, I dont get it! all the grub32.efi etc files are in the efi folder and they work, as in boot in refit menu, and that is where they are in your jpg guide it would appear, please tell me explicitly where the 'root' is in which they should be placed, bearing in mind they currently work, except for the file i added, by the way there was an identically named file grub.cfg i removed rather than overwriting to put the latest one in
    another strange thing i dont have a grub64.efi in the folder yet it comes up in refit menu as well as the 32 maybe its reading them from the mac desktop? as thats where i have the only copy, wierd
    I was unable to get the grub2 CD it appears to be a broken link,please post a live one if you know where it resides, thanks
    Can you post picture(s) of finder windows showing where you have put eveything, need to be sure we know what is being use, and avoid confusion with duplication, may have missed a winning combination.

    The root is the top level of the Mac OSX partition where you see top level folders Applications Library System Users and so on.

    You should have grub32.efi and grub.cfg in the OSX root and remove all grub stuff from /efi (save it on a usb stick or in a desktop folder if you want to).

    The broken link is in the #1 post, there is a good link in post #6.
    It is very slow to download but it gets there, I just got the latest one (by date) and it works well for one drive, hopefully for your multi-drives.
    As for grub2 cd image, use this link (maybe a little slow):
    http://nufans.net/grub4dos/grub2/
    Last edited by pxwpxw; March 16th, 2009 at 10:25 AM.

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Beans
    26
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 10.04 Lucid Lynx

    Re: boot issues on a mac pro

    here are screen shots of display info for bean 123 (100_2794) this is the only page displayed with info. cant see frame buffer . and 2nd pic is grub file location on mac system disk ,music 2 with leopard installation
    Attached Images Attached Images

  10. #30
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Beans
    465

    Re: boot issues on a mac pro

    Quote Originally Posted by desertskymc View Post
    here are screen shots of display info for bean 123 (100_2794) this is the only page displayed with info. cant see frame buffer . and 2nd pic is grub file location on mac system disk ,music 2 with leopard installation
    The frame buffer address seems to be 0xE0000000, please try attachment #405 at:

    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=995704&page=41

    And see if it can detect fb properly.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •