Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: boot issues on a mac pro

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Post boot issues on a mac pro

Hi I am totally new and Green to Ubuntu, but a reckless adventurist. After installing with mixed results on a PC, I was curious how this Os would fair on my Mac Pro, I briefly scanned installation info online, I had a fat 32 partition on a 3rd internal drive and used bootcamp on os X 5.2 to install Ubuntu on that partition, Things went seemingly well, after 3 reboots i had a promising os ,with Video Drivers, sound, and something i had had a problem with on the PC, a flash plugging for firefox.
    So wishing to return to OS X i rebooted with the option key.....Oh Dear, my main Os 10.4.11 from which i have my critical music apps was no longer available as a boot option. less importantly the Ubuntu install was also invisible. After staying up all night, and reading threads, I tried rEFIT with trepidation, after 3 boots from the CD i followed the partition table recommendations and lucked out, Now I have my os 10.4.11 boot option back ....(sigh of relief) I also have a legacy and Linux boot option on start up, BUT! they point to drive 0 the os 10.4.11 drive, and no Linux or Ubuntu lives there!
    Does any one of you MAC/UBUNTU vets know how I can make the Ubuntu install on drive 3 appear in the boot menu, and also preferably erase or fix the non existant Linux boot options on drive 0?
    Last edited by desertskymc; March 8th, 2009 at 07:34 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: boot issues on a mac pro

Quote Originally Posted by desertskymc View Post
    Hi I am totally new and Green to Ubuntu, but a reckless adventurist. After installing with mixed results on a PC, I was curious how this Os would fair on my Mac Pro, I briefly scanned installation info online, I had a fat 32 partition on a 3rd internal drive and used bootcamp on os X 5.2 to install Ubuntu on that partition, Things went seemingly well, after 3 reboots i had a promising os ,with Video Drivers, sound, and something i had had a problem with on the PC, a flash plugging for firefox.
    So wishing to return to OS X i rebooted with the option key.....Oh Dear, my main Os 10.4.11 from which i have my critical music apps was no longer available as a boot option. less importantly the Ubuntu install was also invisible. After staying up all night, and reading threads, I tried rEFIT with trepidation, after 3 boots from the CD i followed the partition table recommendations and lucked out, Now I have my os 10.4.11 boot option back ....(sigh of relief) I also have a legacy and Linux boot option on start up, BUT! they point to drive 0 the os 10.4.11 drive, and no Linux or Ubuntu lives there!
    Does any one of you MAC/UBUNTU vets know how I can make the Ubuntu install on drive 3 appear in the boot menu, and also preferably erase or fix the non existant Linux boot options on drive 0?
    i think you are going to have to reinstall grub, and make sure it is pointing to the correct location, but first...

when you select the linux icon, what DOES happen?

Beans
    Distro

hi thanks for your response, when i select the linux penguin icon on boot up in refit i get a black screen with flashing white dash top left, like maybe i could enter something, however keyboard is
    not operational for text, if i select the legacy i get the grey bootcamp icon...thats all folks
    So what is grub? that i may have to install and is it possible to, and how could i select a boot on the third drive? lastly if i swapped the 3rd disk with linux installed onto bay one hd, would it find the linux boot? or even better if i duped my hd drive, bay one on a bigger disk with a partition for linuxand replaced hd drive one would that work?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

hi thanks for your response, when i select the linux penguin icon on boot up in refit i get a black screen with flashing white dash top left, like maybe i could enter something, however keyboard is
    not operational for text, if i select the legacy i get the grey bootcamp icon...thats all folks
    So what is grub? that i may have to install and is it possible to, and how could i select a boot on the third drive? lastly if i swapped the 3rd disk with linux installed onto bay one hd, would it find the linux boot? or even better if i duped my hd drive, bay one on a bigger disk with a partition for linuxand replaced hd drive one would that work?
    Before re-arranging the hardware, you could probably boot ubuntu from drive 3 initially by using grub64.efi, then if you have ubuntu running is is easier to re-do the grub-pc install for multiple drives.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...&postcount=377

Just unpack grub64.efi.gz and put grub64.efi in the root of the Mac OSX partition, rEFIt should show it and boot grub6.efi.

Then from the efi grub command line
    Code:
     grub> search /vmlinuz
    will show you if it can find the ubuntu partition.

You can then try booting linux, but you will have to use the correct root=/dev/sdxx
    which might be /dev/sdc2 (or it might be sdbx or sday)
    but this should confirm that it is booting.
    Code:
     grub> search --set /vmlinuz
     grub> linux /vmlinuz root=/dev/sdc2 video=efifb single
     grub> initrd /initrd.img
     grub> boot
    It may need more boot options depending on the ubuntu kernel version.
    such as these -
    noefi
    acpi=force

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

desertskymc
    i tried downloading the grub 32 and 64bt files, placed them one at a time in the refit efi folder and rebooted, it did not come up on the reboot.. a discrepencey i noticed was the un packed files only
    had the one file in it not the files visible in your jpeg guide,
    Put grub.efi in the root of the OSX partition, as shown for grub32-335.efi in the picture in grub.efi thread- post #1.
    Its easier that way.

The other files - grub cfg and grub.icns (rename grub.icns to match your grub.efi if you want to see a grub icon) are in the post#377 grub2021 package, but you dont need them for the grub> command line, just grub64.efi or grub32.efi, whichever works.

Beans
    Distro

I am not sure of the definition of mac osx 'Root" is that the area visible where all osx folders reside ie applications ,Library etc, for the life of me it looks like you placed it in the efi folder where refit resides, if there is another diagram please post a hard link, as i am not sure how to navigate posts on this site, thanks. also do you manually create a folder entitled 'grub' either 32/64 where you put the .efi file and logos?

Beans
    Distro

ok got grub 32 to boot, first command gave this response hd4,4 which i believe is where ubuntu was installed, the second command 'search set/vmlinuz' is replied with 'no such device' ?

Beans
    Distro

hi i got this far, no booting, screen freezes at end ,here is the command line and reply:
    search /vmlinuz
    hd4,4
    -

[linux-bz image, setup=0x3000,size-0x2393000
    video mode: 1280x1024'32e0
    cant find frame buffer address

grub> initrd /initrd.img
    [initrd, addr=0x74991000, size=0xb44fd51

grub> boot
    ACPI : 0x7fbba000

computer then doesnt respond
    thanks, made progress ,maybe? no success, i also substituted sdbx and sday same result i dont know how or where to put the other system alternatives in the code,

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

hi i got this far, no booting, screen freezes at end ,here is the command line and reply:
    search /vmlinuz
    hd4,4
    -

[linux-bz image, setup=0x3000,size-0x2393000
    video mode: 1280x1024'32e0
    cant find frame buffer address

grub> initrd /initrd.img
    [initrd, addr=0x74991000, size=0xb44fd51

grub> boot
    ACPI : 0x7fbba000

computer then doesnt respond
    thanks, made progress ,maybe? no success, i also substituted sdbx and sday same result i dont know how or where to put the other system alternatives in the code,
    Well you found the ubuntu system partition and kernel and got grub32.efi working loading the kernel.

Your input looks correct so far, but the problem with the video frame buffer address is preventing any display. Let me try some things with grub32.efi here and get back.

Is that 1280x1024 correct for your display?

Meanwhile you could try

grub> linux /vmlinuz root=/dev/sdc2 video=efifb single noefi acpi=force

Also without 'single' which just stops it in the text console before any graphics.

At this stage the /dev/sdc2 does not matter until start up successfully indicated by scrolling linux startup messages.
    Last edited by pxwpxw; March 15th, 2009 at 07:32 AM.

Beans
    Distro

hi ,well that setting is correct for the second display, I have a 24 and 17inch screen grub only accessed the 17 inch one, but Ubuntu when operating only used the 24 inch one, I was going to work on that later if possible,
    I will try some of the new command options thanks, I assume I start out as before with search /vmlinuz etc

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast