Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Gubuntu?

curuxz is offline Gee! These Aren't Roasted!
    Beans

Gubuntu?

Hey this may have alreadu been suggested/asked. But should Ubuntu not be Gubuntu now that there are K, X , F etc....

Would it not make more sense for Ubuntu to refer to the community as a whole with less bias to gnome users?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Gubuntu?

They are all the same distro, just with different display managers attached so it makes sense to call it Gubuntu, but it won't happen.

Ubuntu is a word in an African language (read the first sentance on http://www.ubuntu.com). The name embodies what they are trying to do with the distro and I think that they are keeping to their goals very well.

I really like Kubuntu and these forums are great as there isn't any of the Gnome vs. KDE flame wars, at least from my searches. I have my reasons to not like Gnome, but I'm not going to belittle anyone who uses it because it's their choice.

I like how the Ubuntu project is going and how easy it is to install another display manager. If the dev's want to have Gnome as the default, then that's fine with me.

This disto is a lot better with the different display managers than with Fedora. KDE just wasn't as powerful as it is on Kubuntu.
    Last edited by xtacocorex; December 27th, 2005 at 11:13 PM.
    #399784 | Ubuntu User #287
    *** If you're going to program, install the damn build-essential package ***
    There is no such thing as Ubuntu specific programming
    Save the electrons - if you quote, trim!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

Why would you want to call it ubuntu? I find the whole "window manager's first letter+ubuntu" naming scheme kinda lame. I mean, it's the same distribution, why give it different names? I don't really see the point in kubuntu and xubuntu, you can download those window managers with apt anyway

just my opinion, anyway.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Xubuntu and Kubuntu basically exist(as far as I can tell) to offer complete desktop systems, not just the desktop environment. That is, they are meta-packages referring to a lot of apps, which, when installed together, offer a system comparable to that of the default ubuntu.
    The reason one can download these seperate distro's is basically to save one downloading an entire iso of ubuntu, complete with GNOME, only to have to download XFCE(or kde, or openbox, or fluxbox...) and then go on to never actually use GNOME at all.
    At least, thats how I read it
    Human knowledge belongs to the world

Beans

I call it ubuntu no matter what DM I use, for me UBUNTU refers to the backend stuff although technically UBUNTU is optimized for gnome.
    I think its stupid to even call it Kubuntu personally I think ubuntu/kde would sound better to me but, its is easier to refer to Kubuntu.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by curuxz
    Hey this may have alreadu been suggested/asked. But should Ubuntu not be Gubuntu now that there are K, X , F etc....

Would it not make more sense for Ubuntu to refer to the community as a whole with less bias to gnome users?
    No, Ubuntu is still very much centered around GNOME. K/X/Fubuntu are just derivatives.
    Touting "community" as a strength of a distribution is the equivalent of stating that it has poor documentation.

curuxz is offline Gee! These Aren't Roasted!
    Beans

Which is why I think that the whole set should be called Ubuntu. but there be individual versions, Gu, Ku, Xu etc...

Would it be possible to squeze K, X and G together on one disk, maybe a DVD iso, so that you chose at install which version you want (I mean in the sense of the display manager and metapackages not just the display manager since as people have said that can all be done from Ubuntu)

Beans
    Distro
    Dapper Drake Testing/

Quote Originally Posted by curuxz

Actually, there will be less and less distros centered around Gnome, or even providing it, for obvious reasons, i think it's kinda nice that Ubuntu does while keeping the ability to make it a KDE centered disto or XFCE centered distro fairly easily.

Beans
    Distro
    Dapper Drake Testing/

we could make Gubuntu for GNUStep users maybe

Beans
    Distro
    Dapper Drake Testing/

Quote Originally Posted by Lovechild
    we could make Gubuntu for GNUStep users maybe
    Ooooh, was some time since i used Next/GNUStep, i used to love it though, now THAT was fast.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast