Code:
    sudo apt-get install nvidia-settings
    and then try the

Code:
    sudo nvidia-settings
    trick I showed you.

Second:

go here: http://ubuntuguide.org/wiki/Ubuntu:I...e_xserver-xorg

and copy there xorg.conf file into yours and restart your X server.

I highly recommend installing nvidia-settings regardless as sometimes it makes configuring your settings a bit easier.

...how 'bout now?

Beans

Re: Nvidia Geforce 9500 GT Driver

OK the first way that I tried it worked, but when I open up the nvidia settings I don't see what you are telling me, its just a screen with checkboxes and it does have a left side but its not a menu, also when I open it up it tells me

You do not appear to be using the NVIDIA X driver. Please edit your X configuration file (just run `nvidia-xconfig` as root), and restart the X server.

Now for the second way, I tried to copy paste but it says I don't have permission to save this make sure its in the right location.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Hmm...

Could be the graphical way isn't working because I'm using older video cards than you are and it doesn't work the same way.

As for the reason the second way isn't working, it sounds like you're trying to edit it as your regular user and not your root user. The xorg.conf file is owned by the "root" user and can normally only be changed by that user.

Do you know any command line text editors? I just

Code:
    sudo vim /etc/X11/xorg.conf
    but you don't want to do that if you aren't familiar with vi.

"Please edit your X configuration file (just run `nvidia-xconfig` as root), and restart the X server."

You could definitely do this. nvidia-xconfig should do exactly what I was trying to do with nvidia-settings automatically. Just make sure you

Code:
    sudo nvidia-xconfig
    The "sudo" means "Super User DO" ie - run the command as if you were the "root" user.

If you want to copy text from the webpage try

Code:
    gksu gedit /etc/X11/xorg.conf &
    This should attempt to open the config file in gnomes default text editor with root user privelages. This is a graphical editor and should be a lot simpler than learning a command-line editor on the fly
    Last edited by shinobitux; March 8th, 2009 at 07:22 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Lol

This all reminds me of when I did tech support for a living.

I've only got another hour or two but I want to see you up and playing.

Beans

OK, what stumps me is that if I copy the other xorg.conf into mine, wouldn't it not work, since he is using something different? Also It worked as in I copied it, but it still says the same thing. I am not sure I even got the driver I don't know maybe I got lost in translation?

Beans

Also whenever I go to System>Administration>Hardware Drivers I do not see a thing, is this normal, because I have looked elsewhere and it told me to just install the envy thing, and then get the repositories from there....

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

You know, I've done this so many times maybe I'm skipping a couple steps.

First thing, what version of Ubuntu are you running? 8.04? 8.10?

According to ubuntuguide.org (which I've used for my nvidia cards) ...

http://ubuntuguide.org/wiki/Ubuntu:I....2FATI_drivers

...you need to go and download the latest drivers manually. The Envy drivers probably don't have hardware acceleration and wont work with games like WoW.

Try the ubuntuguide link: http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us to install the drivers

Installation of ATI and nVidia Graphics drivers

NVidia Driver

If you have problems with Nvidia drivers after upgrading, check This guide for common solutions to problems with nvidia.

* Please make a backup of xorg.conf before following this method.

Install the nvidia-settings package:

Code:
     sudo apt-get install nvidia-settings
    Download Nvidia driver at http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us and place it at your home directory. After downloading, close all open windows and press <CTRL> <ALT> F1. Log in and enter password and then just connect to the internet. Press <ALT> F2, kill gdm or kdm season by entering sudo killall <your desktop manager>, example:

Code:
    sudo killall gdm
    Install the nvidia driver. Make sure you are in the nvidia driver directory. If you downloaded it and placed it on the Desktop, make sure to change directories first.

Code:
    cd Desktop
    To install it, enter /NVIDIA-Linux-x**-***.**-pkg1.run. For example, if you downloaded Nvidia version 173.80:

Code:
    sudo ./NVIDIA-Linux-x86-173.80-pkg1.run
    choose yes to any verbose response. After you are finished installing the driver, reboot your computer.

Code:
    sudo reboot

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

This should be the driver for Nvidia Geforce 9500 GT

http://us.download.nvidia.com/XFree8...80.29-pkg1.run

Beans

I am currently running 8.04, and I have downloaded the driver, the one in your last post, but excuse me for sounding "dumb" but your directions are confusing me a bit, are you going through step by step, also are the directions that are in intrepid the same as 8.04?

Beans

Also since we have done everything, Whenever I boot up to Ubuntu, it says it has to run in low graphical settings. I think that we messed something up, because it was better before.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast