Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hardy Memory Question

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Re: Hardy Memory Question

i'd say drive space would be the amount of filing cabinets you have. Whereas the used space is filled with files and folders (get it?) the unused space is empty. And yeah, if you could pull off a screenshot that would be uber helpful. Or if you're comfortable at a terminal(or willing to try for us), the output of this would provide a lot of insight as well:
    Code:
    du --max-depth=3 | sort -n | tail
    the 'du' command lists the sizes of every folder in your system up to 3 levels deep, sort... sorts by the file size, and tail only gives us the biggest folders. You could then copy/paste the output over here.
    Apollo(ss): Ubuntu 8.10, Pentium T2330, 2GB RAM, 200GB(Laptop)
    Hestia: Ubuntu 8.04.1, 2.4Ghz P4, 1GB RAM, 500GB, (SMB/FTP/Torrent) {Rebuilding}
    Poseidon: Ubuntu Server 8.04.1, 512MB, LAMP, Mail (VPS)

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Quote Originally Posted by CrucifiedEgo View Post
    i'd say drive space would be the amount of filing cabinets you have. Whereas the used space is filled with files and folders (get it?) the unused space is empty. And yeah, if you could pull off a screenshot that would be uber helpful. Or if you're comfortable at a terminal(or willing to try for us), the output of this would provide a lot of insight as well:
    Code:
    du --max-depth=3 | sort -n | tail
    the 'du' command lists the sizes of every folder in your system up to 3 levels deep, sort... sorts by the file size, and tail only gives us the biggest folders. You could then copy/paste the output over here.
    Thanks, Cru,

Also for the handy code--I'll hang onto it. A screenshot of what would be useful?

OK, I think I get it that the drive space is the physical portion of the hard drive where the files, directories and subdirectories reside. I notice that Sysinfo shows 'cached', 'active' and 'inactive'. Are these designations pertinent to my problem--assuming I have one?

Here's the terminal output:
    mn@mn-desktop:~$ du --max-depth=3 | sort -n | tail
    du: cannot read directory `./.dbus': Permission denied
    296460 ./xulrunner-1.9-1.9.0.7+nobinonly/mozilla
    296464 ./xulrunner-1.9-1.9.0.7+nobinonly
    311016 ./linux-2.6.24.2
    319832 ./midbrowser-0.3.0rc1a
    406104 ./.wine/drive_c
    407576 ./.wine
    511828 ./.mozilla-thunderbird/svvkur1h.default/Mail
    519800 ./.mozilla-thunderbird/svvkur1h.default
    519808 ./.mozilla-thunderbird
    6202668 .
    mn@mn-desktop:~$

Thanks again for your time and trouble.

mike

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

mlnease,

Drive space is the same as the hard drive. You can have used drive space and free drive space. The command CrucifiedEgo provided will help you determine which folders are taking up the most space (used drive space), but you need to run it from the root. The listing you provided looks like you ran it from the default location, which is your home drive. Try this...

user@computer:~$ cd /
    user@computer:/$ sudo du --max-depth=3 | sort -n | tail
    Last edited by dunkar70; March 9th, 2009 at 02:56 AM.
    Ubuntu Karmic (32-bit) workstations (with one Lucid laptop)
    Ubuntu Heron (32-bit LTS) servers

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by dunkar70 View Post
    mlnease,

Drive space is the same as the hard drive. You can have used drive space and free drive space. The command CrucifiedEgo provided will help you determine which folders are taking up the most space (used drive space), but you need to run it from the root. The listing you provided looks like you ran it from the default location, which is your home drive. Try this...
    Hi Dunkar,

Thanks, tried it again (via sudo) with this output:
    mn@mn-desktop:~$ cd /
    mn@mn-desktop:/$ sudo du --max-depth=3 | sort -n | tail
    [sudo] password for mn:
    du: cannot access `./home/mn/.gvfs': Permission denied
    du: cannot access `./proc/11656/task/11656/fd/3': No such file or directory
    du: cannot access `./proc/11656/task/11656/fdinfo/3': No such file or directory
    du: cannot access `./proc/11656/fd/3': No such file or directory
    du: cannot access `./proc/11656/fdinfo/3': No such file or directory
    2353548 ./var/backup/2009-03-04_00.00.04.243003.mn-desktop.ful
    2353552 ./var/backup
    2839484 ./var
    2858568 ./usr
    6202360 ./home/mn
    6225512 ./home
    17392580 ./root/.local/share
    17392584 ./root/.local
    17401468 ./root
    30166212 .

Still doesn't look right, eh? I tried to change permission for `./home/mn/.gvfs' but couldn't find the file. Any suggestions?

Thanks again for your time.

mike

p.s. Thanks for the explanation: Drive space = hard drive. Does partition size make any difference to performance?
    Last edited by mlnease; March 9th, 2009 at 11:02 PM. Reason: Afterthought

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

The last line of output confirms that you are using about 30GB of hard drive space. Your root account has over 17GB in the .local/share folder. I would start there and see why that folder is so large.

Considering the 2.3GB backup file, I suspect you have a scheduled backup using CRON or ANACRON that has a rotating backup file. CRON may be deleting old backup files as root and storing them in the /root/.local/share/Trash folder, which would not normally be purged when you empty your trash.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

The last line of output confirms that you are using about 30GB of hard drive space. Your root account has over 17GB in the .local/share folder. I would start there and see why that folder is so large.

Considering the 2.3GB backup file, I suspect you have a scheduled backup using CRON or ANACRON that has a rotating backup file. CRON may be deleting old backup files as root and storing them in the /root/.local/share/Trash folder, which would not normally be purged when you empty your trash.
    Hello Again Dunkar,

Your conclusion should've been obvious to me (doh!). I'll have a look--if I find anything interesting I'll follow up.

Thanks Again (and a Million) for your time and advice.

mike

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Dunkar, Yer a Prince,

16GB of trash in .local/share. I'd never have known that there was a trash subdirectory there without your help. This certainly explains why my used memory seems to keep perpetually expanding. And yes, my Simple Backup does rotate and leave obsolete backup files behind--but I thought only in /var--

THANK YOU.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Almost There,

I've opened gksudo naultilus and tried to delete the trash files--no go. They vanish for a second then come back with new lock files to replace the just deleted lock files. How can I get rid of trash in the .local/share folder?

mike

p.s. I've changed the permissions from admin to root, folder access: create and delete files. No luck!
    p.p.s. I've tried 'rm -rf ~/.local/share/.Trash/*'(as root)--still no luck.
    Last edited by mlnease; March 10th, 2009 at 03:39 AM. Reason: p.p.s.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Glad I could help. Here's a link to a thread on deleting the root trash...

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=970708

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Glad I could help. Here's a link to a thread on deleting the root trash...

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=970708
    Skripka, Dunkar and CrucifiedEgo,

Done and done. My used memory's down to 36% (from over 90% originally) and I think my confuser's much happier. Many, many thanks to the great Ubuntu community.

mike

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12