Thread: Looking for a guide for ABSOLUTE beginners

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Looking for a guide for ABSOLUTE beginners

I'm looking for a guide for Ubuntu that's written for people that are completely new to computers. All the guides I've found seem to cater to fairly advanced Windows users converting to Ubuntu.

I have an aunt that truly has no clue when it comes to computers, and I've been getting her set up with an Ubuntu laptop so it was inexpensive, and fewer worries like viruses and defragging.

By no clue, I mean she asks me how to create a new folder, or where to download the internet. She used Windows a little bit before this, and literally thought of The Internet as the Big Blue E (Internet Explorer icon).

Does anyone have a guide that is geared towards true beginners, and isn't building on Windows knowledge? I'm not looking for "Beginner's guide to bash" or those sorts - they're still too advanced for her. While I don't mind helping her (I'm the only computer literate person she knows), I don't have enough time to help her through every step.

Any help would be great. If nothing else, it would help to print up a couple simple webpages for her to read.
    Why are uploads slower than downloads? That's easy. When you upload, the computer has to push the bits upward. When you download, the bits just fall by gravity, so it's much faster.

~/ ~/ on the range...

Beans

Re: Looking for a guide for ABSOLUTE beginners

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by darth_indy View Post
    I'm looking for a guide for Ubuntu that's written for people that are completely new to computers. All the guides I've found seem to cater to fairly advanced Windows users converting to Ubuntu.

I have an aunt that truly has no clue when it comes to computers, and I've been getting her set up with an Ubuntu laptop so it was inexpensive, and fewer worries like viruses and defragging.

By no clue, I mean she asks me how to create a new folder, or where to download the internet. She used Windows a little bit before this, and literally thought of The Internet as the Big Blue E (Internet Explorer icon).

Does anyone have a guide that is geared towards true beginners, and isn't building on Windows knowledge? I'm not looking for "Beginner's guide to bash" or those sorts - they're still too advanced for her. While I don't mind helping her (I'm the only computer literate person she knows), I don't have enough time to help her through every step.

Any help would be great. If nothing else, it would help to print up a couple simple webpages for her to read.
    You know what? people like your aunt probably catch on to Linux quicker because their minds aren't already "set" in a way to do things or have the conflict of "i know so much" because of Windows and then take the differences in Linux as a personal affront to their intelligence. I'll bet with someone spending a little time and some reading she will catch on quick.
    Multi-boot: Arch linux, Ubuntu 12.04, Windows 7 & Windows 8

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by presence1960 View Post
    You know what? people like your aunt probably catch on to Linux quicker because their minds aren't already "set" in a way to do things
    I have to agree with this. I want to add that a lot of things are in my opinion much more intuitive in GNU/Linux / GNOME, for example Synaptic. There is no such tool in Windows (Add/remove programs is as close as you get, and that's a really crappy utility).

(not to poop on your question, but: )
    I think the best way for a complete techno-virgin to learn is just by doing, and interacting with an actual person.

If you can teach her google-fu she will be able to karate-chop any beginner issues in the face in no time. =)

There might be some sort of "for dummies" book about GNU/Linux / Ubuntu, but other than that, I'm not sure how easy it will be to find a guide that covers a broad and general spectrum of issues. Most guides are very specific, step by step guides to solve a single issue or at the least general tricks covering a specific area.
    Riddles are abound tonight.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Quote Originally Posted by tracerbullet View Post
    I have to agree with this. I want to add that a lot of things are in my opinion much more intuitive in GNU/Linux / GNOME, for example Synaptic. There is no such tool in Windows (Add/remove programs is as close as you get, and that's a really crappy utility).

(not to poop on your question, but: )
    I think the best way for a complete techno-virgin to learn is just by doing, and interacting with an actual person.
    I agree completely... and thanks all for the links. The problem I'm having is that she never asks questions when I'm around, and gets frustrated. I don't even need her to be able to troubleshoot problems - I can SSH in myself to diagnose. I need a guide to be a reference for the absolute basics.

The kind of guide I'm looking for is beyond simple. She has a hard time grasping tasks like creating a new folder. I need one with pages lik. "Click 'File' then 'Create Folder' to create a folder." This is no exaggeration, that is the kind of stuff she has problems with.

If, after reading that you conclude she has no business around a computer, I have to agree. But she needs one for her schoolwork and such, so I've committed to helping her.

I guess if there's no truly basic book out there I'll have to put a guide together myself, but I was hoping not to try to squeeze that into my already chaotic schedule. But hey, if I make one, I'll make it freely aailable. I'm sure I'm not the only one with this problem!
    Why are uploads slower than downloads? That's easy. When you upload, the computer has to push the bits upward. When you download, the bits just fall by gravity, so it's much faster.

~/ ~/ on the range...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Don't forget the question mark on the top panel. Lots of good info there.