Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: floppy does not work

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Re: floppy does not work

@clemm
    first, i would not recommend posting your email online-this generates spams most of the time.
    second, even though it is not a "real" bug, i do agree that it would have been better for ubuntu to make the floppies work out of the box.
    last but not least, here's what you should do in very simple steps(i assume you are using ubuntu, let us know if you are using kubuntu or something else):
    a) go to Applications>Accessories>Terminal
    b) type
    Code:
    echo "floppy" | sudo tee -a /etc/modules
    c) double check that you typed this exactly as i did. no capitalization.
    d) press enter.
    e) you'll be asked for you password. enter it. don't worry if you dont see ****** as you type. after you type the password press enter.
    f) reboot
    g) after reboot the floppy should appear in the "Places" menu
    Last edited by minsf; March 12th, 2009 at 07:08 PM. Reason: typo

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: floppy does not work

Who, calm down there. One step at a time. No need to get all upset -we've all gotten frusturated by these machines every once in awhile, but people will always be there to help. Lets take a look see.

Quote Originally Posted by clemm View Post
    I have the same problem. I do not have a floppy mounted and it wont let me mount one. I have changed all the permmissions I could find and I still have no floppy.
    Don't randomly chmod/chown things. I chowned everything in the root directory to my name when i was scewing around one day - bad idea.

are you sure you don't have a floppy mounted? run di (probably will have to install it) to see if you have anything mounted to /media/floppy0 (post if you have trouble interpreting the output).

I need my floppy. I am user not a programmer. If I was capable of programming a computer I would probably be using my own OS. I really like Linux but these are the problems that irritate me. I have spent 4 hours tonight trying to get the damn floppy drive to work only to find its ANOTHER BUG!
    I must say i loled a little at "probably be using my own OS." I'm a programmer and building my own OS is so daunting i stay with the commerically maintained distros. -nobody want's the hassle of OS programming. There are problems that irritate me too - like my IE using friends (idiots) not being able to use my server's FTP system. That irritates me.

This problem probably isn't a bug, as floppy drives are very generic and have been around for ages. You probably have a misconfiguration somewhere.

These BUGS! are why i am still forced to use windows for everything except playing with a partially functioning os. I assume the excuse is the same, floppy disk manufactures havent been around long enough to write the drivers for linux?
    Forced to use windows? What problems are you having? The manufactures of the drives don't write the drivers - the community does that for them now. Welcome to our world - if a big buck$ company won't do it, we get up and write our own!

Chillout man. We'll help you - read the posts above, they solved the problems ambically.
    OH NOES!!! I HAZ CRASHED SERVER!! WHY ON EARTH WOULD YOU DO THAT?!?! CAUSE ITS FUNNY!!!!
    Running either 7.04, 8.04, 8.10, 9.04, it varies.
    You talkin' to me? - Taxi Driver (1976)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12