Thread: Autostart network-manager in LXDE

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 18.10 Cosmic Cuttlefish

Autostart network-manager in LXDE

The title says it all really. I'm playing around with LXDE at the moment and haven't been able to find a way to autostart network-manager. I can start it fine by the command line but there must be a way to add it to the LXDE session. Anyone know how?

Beans

Re: Autostart network-manager in LXDE

I agree with you here. its quite stupid to not being able to connect to a wifi because nm-applet is not autostarted.

Beans

You need to copy the nm-applet.destkop file into the appropriate directory. Try something like this:

Code:
    $ if [ ! -d ~/.config/autostart ];then mkdir ~/.config/autostart; fi
    $ cp /etc/xdg/autostart/nm-applet.desktop ~/.config/autostart/
    Log out and log back in. This appeared to work for me on 8.10. It appears that LXDE does not pay attention to system-wide /etc/xdg/autostart/ files.

http://wiki.lxde.org/en/LXSession has more information, including a note about some desktop files that will only start under Gnome. My nm-applet.desktop did not have that issue.

Best regards,

Ben

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by bchapman View Post
    You need to copy the nm-applet.destkop file into the appropriate directory. Try something like this:

Code:
    $ if [ ! -d ~/.config/autostart ];then mkdir ~/.config/autostart; fi
    $ cp /etc/xdg/autostart/nm-applet.desktop ~/.config/autostart/
    Log out and log back in. This appeared to work for me on 8.10. It appears that LXDE does not pay attention to system-wide /etc/xdg/autostart/ files.

http://wiki.lxde.org/en/LXSession has more information, including a note about some desktop files that will only start under Gnome. My nm-applet.desktop did not have that issue.

Best regards,

Ben
    Hello Ben and all

This worked using LXDE on top of a 9.04 Jaunty XUBUNTU install with one modification. I had to open the autostart file and add LXDE to the list of window managers that the nm-applet loads under as below, see the OnlyShowIn line

Code:
    [Desktop Entry]
    Name=Network Manager
    Comment=Control your network connections
    Icon=nm-device-wireless
    Exec=nm-applet --sm-disable
    Terminal=false
    Type=Application
    OnlyShowIn=GNOME;XFCE;LXDE
    X-GNOME-Bugzilla-Bugzilla=GNOME
    X-GNOME-Bugzilla-Product=NetworkManager
    X-GNOME-Bugzilla-Component=general
    X-GNOME-Autostart-enabled=true
    X-Ubuntu-Gettext-Domain=nm-applet
    Thanks very much.

Beans

For me it didn't work, for some reason. Funny how something that is supposed to be more user friendly (LXDE, compared with pure openbox) can have such issue.

I also tried to create an autostart.sh on openbox' directory, with exec ~/.config/autostart/nm-applet, to no avail.

Extremely annoying.

Executing the very same .desktop will work after I'm on LXDE, even by command line, but it's simply ignored as something that has to start automatically.

I've just added another random .desktop (gedit) to see what happens, and oddly enough, it auto-starts.
    Last edited by the dsc; July 19th, 2009 at 03:24 AM.

Beans

Solved. Found the solution on Arch Linux forums, even though I'm using ubuntu. Here it goes, just in case someone would also be scratching his head at the point of reaching to the bone:

ok the "problem" is solved, normman, i've checked the link that you gave me but i don't have the autostart file in the direction that wiki said. So, i use the archwiki http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/LXD … t_Programs , all that we (lxde users) must do is to put the name of the program that we want to start with the system in /etc/xdg/lxsession/LXDE/autostart

http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=74309