Thread: Mounting WHS Shares - Do Not Have Write Privilleges

Beans

Mounting WHS Shares - Do Not Have Write Privilleges

Hi all,

I am trying to mount my WHS shares so that i can access them easily from Ubuntu Hardy. If i navigate to smb://server/music/ i can write to my music directory no problem, but when i mount the directory at /mnt/server/music using the following line in fstab i cannot write to the directory:

//ipaddress/music /mnt/server/music cifs username=Andy,password=mypass,users,auto 0 0

I am thinking maybe i need to chmod on my /mnt/server/music directory, but i think permissions are fine?

drwxrwxrwx 1 root root 0 2008-10-01 09:32 users
    drwxrwxrwx 1 root root 0 2008-10-02 11:57 video
    drwxrwxrwx 1 root root 0 2009-03-07 11:51 pictures
    drwxrwxrwx 1 root root 0 2009-03-07 12:53 music

Thanks in advance.

Beans

Re: Mounting WHS Shares - Do Not Have Write Privilleges

Ive delved into this a bit deeper and its quite strange - under mnt/music, i can write files no problem. If i navigate into mnt/music/subdirectory i can also write files, again, this is cool.

However, if i try to write to mnt/music/subdirectory from the mnt/music, i get a permissions error. Seems i can only write to the current working directory?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by Andysan View Post
    Ive delved into this a bit deeper and its quite strange - under mnt/music, i can write files no problem. If i navigate into mnt/music/subdirectory i can also write files, again, this is cool.

However, if i try to write to mnt/music/subdirectory from the mnt/music, i get a permissions error. Seems i can only write to the current working directory?
    There is some mounting priveleges under "User and grups". Give it a try.

Beans

Thanks,

I've taken a look but cant find anything re mounting - it seems all i can really do in Users & Groups is change the group i belong to and whether i can use tape drives etc. Thanks for your suggestion though, it may just bt that im looking in the wrong place.

The issue really seems to be with subdirectories. For example, I use Rhythmbox to rip CD's to my server, stored as follows:

/mnt/server/music/artistname/albumname/track1.mp3

When i try to rip a CD, it creates the artist and album folders but gives me a permissions error. I click OK, and try to rip again to the same destination and it works OK. It seems that it cant cope with creating subdirectories and writing to them in one swoop.

Does anyone have any suggestions please?

Beans

To anyone with the same issue, i found that it is because root mounts the shares and then i access them (user), i think anyway.

I had to express the noperm parameter to overcome this:

//IPADDRESS/SHARE /mnt/FOLDER cifs username=USER,password=PASS,users,noperm,auto 0 0