Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: List the name of women using Ubuntu

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: List the name of women using Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Dayofswords View Post
    While it is nice to have both genders using Ubuntu, splitting off to smaller groups just discourages people from being more part of the full community.
    You are mistaken with the purpose of the project, splitting women into separate groups goes against our goals. The project is about bringing more women into the wider community - indeed, women involved with Ubuntu Women are involved and in leadership positions throughout the project.

When I post on forums, sites and blogs, I dont care if someone is a male or female when they post, ask, or tell something.
    Unfortunately not everyone behaves this way, and behavior from folks who discriminate based on gender does frequently drive women away.
    Elizabeth Krumbach // pleia2 // lyz@ubuntu.com
    http://princessleia.com

cprofitt is offline νόησις νοήσεως - nóesis noéseos
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by elizabeth View Post
    You are mistaken with the purpose of the project, splitting women into separate groups goes against our goals. The project is about bringing more women into the wider community - indeed, women involved with Ubuntu Women are involved and in leadership positions throughout the project.

Unfortunately not everyone behaves this way, and behavior from folks who discriminate based on gender does frequently drive women away.

Well spoken Elizabeth. The problem is not with gender... not with majority or minority status... it is simply with attitudes expressed. Young kids take cues from society and if society as a whole ridicules women for using technology (or going deeper) they will shy away from it... just as men shy away from being nurses due to ridicule of male nurses.

In this I think we find the key to Ubuntu Women -- not to promote women over men... but to simply show females, especially girls, that using and being interested in technology is acceptable and has value. To given them a safe haven from potential ridicule... to give them role models to look up too.
    Last edited by cprofitt; May 18th, 2010 at 10:00 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by cprofitt View Post
    In this I think we find the key to Ubuntu Women -- not to promote women over men... but to simply show females, especially girls, that using and being interested in technology is acceptable and has value. To given them a safe haven from potential ridicule... to give them role models to look up too.
    A place where they can relax and talk about the subject at hand (technology), rather than have to try and cover up who they really are!
    Friends don't let friends wear a red shirt on landing-party duty.
    DACS | Connecticut LoCo Team | My Blog
    Ubuntu User# : 17583, Linux User# : 477531

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

my mom and my sister uses linux(i will not comment ubuntu because their taste is fedora and gentoo ( i think my mother and sister are abnormal women species)).

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by cprofitt View Post
    Unfortunately the trolls follow you even in here... personally I think the board moderators should close discussions about genders in this subforum, for that reason. I'm a man but I don't think discussing gender here is a good thing.

This place would probably be a bit dead if it wasn't for those discussions though.
    My intent is not to flame. I am unarmed. -- QIII; thanks!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

List the name of * using Ubuntu

/fixed

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

This threads going a bit downhill.

I think that Ubuntu-Women is a needed project, we should be encouraging anyone who can to get involved with Ubuntu and free software.

I would like to say that the 'Men using Ubuntu' thread is okay in my view, nothing particularly wrong with it and I can't understand why it got closed. The 'Ubuntu-Men' suggestion was a bit childish though; just saying.

My 2% of our falling US dollar,
    -BlackOtaku

Beans

Why not an Ubuntu group for black people, gay people, red haired people, left handed people, etc?

I think the Ubuntu Women project only serves to divide, as illustrated by this and other threads. Why do we need to bring gender politics or other types of group think into everything? One of the things I love about the Ubuntu community is that it is -mostly- apolitical (With the exception of the Ubuntu women project that is)

What does it matter, really, who uses ubuntu? If a woman wants to use Ubuntu, then good. If not, then that is her choice. What's the big deal... sheesh.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackOtaku View Post
    This threads going a bit downhill.

I think that Ubuntu-Women is a needed project, we should be encouraging anyone who can to get involved with Ubuntu and free software.

I would like to say that the 'Men using Ubuntu' thread is okay in my view, nothing particularly wrong with it and I can't understand why it got closed. The 'Ubuntu-Men' suggestion was a bit childish though; just saying.

My 2% of our falling US dollar,
    -BlackOtaku

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by occams_beard View Post
    I think the Ubuntu Women project only serves to divide, as illustrated by this and other threads.
    Since elizabeth already said it better than I could:
    Quote Originally Posted by elizabeth View Post

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by pony View Post
    I have been here for a while now and have posted a little bit. I am ten years old now. I am home schooled and have two sisters. I can't really answer a lot of questions because I am not experienced. It's good to know that there are people I can talk to.
    I am not a woman despite what my user-name might imply...
    However Pony, you just made my day girl!

Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast