Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: List the name of women using Ubuntu

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: List the name of women using Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by freesitebuilder View Post
    I've just thought up a cunning plan ... instead of converting more women to Ubuntu, we could try converting male Ubuntu users to women.

Nah, it wouldn't work - much too expensive. :)
    I don't know, it worked for me.:D:D Ubuntu user since 7.04, Woman since 9.04 (It was pretty expensive...)

I wouldn't discount the idea of a gay, black, or left handed Ubuntu user forums. I know four other Linux users in real life and they are all in my Transgender support group. I've wondered more than once if I should start a Trans-friendly forum.:P

I see two possible values to having a sub-forum for a specific group. The first is if the group has a perspective that is different from the mainstream and might have insights that can benefit Ubuntu as a whole. The second is if they use their computers in a different way, or use different sorts of programs.

Gender differences are often subtle and it can be easy to discount them but they are there. Small differences in the ratio of gray matter and white matter in the brain gives men a tendency towards linear logic and women a tendency towards associative logic. Cultural conditioning often reinforces these tendencies.

Programming logic is very linear and maybe this is why computers have been traditionally a more male field. However what makes computers important is the way they connect to each other, and allow us to connect. That's a more associative process.

So I think it's possible that women do view their computers in a slightly different way than the average man. Whether I am writing, sharing photos with friends, using social media or surfing the internet my computer is a platform for communication. Do other women feel that way too? I don't know. Does this give Ubuntu's development team some great new insight or innovation? I don't know that either, but I do think it's worth discussing these questions.

Sorry for the long post. I am Rachel and I use Ubuntu.):P

Beans

Hi all, I like the idea of having a forum aimed at encouraging women (or any other under represented group) into Linux. I installed Ubuntu on our family computer about 3 years ago after our XP disk got damaged and none of us would now go back to Windows, my sister-in- law and my mum (and dad) all use Ubuntu now as well.
    Too many people I know hear the word 'Linux' and go 'I couldn't use that - it's just for geeks in laboratories....way too techie for me....'
    My mum always disliked using computers but started using my dads laptop a bit after I put Ubuntu on it, she then got her own laptop with XP installed - it lasted about a week before she asked me to get rid and give her ubuntu, Windows was just way too fussy, complicated and slow!
    We should be spreading the word! (i don't work in IT - computers are just my hobby)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Smile Re: List the name of women using Ubuntu

Hi Girls!

I am a old school Linux user since the 1990's. Used Redhat & Mandrake in those days. Those were the beginnings...but left becoz of poor connection to a stable community. However, I am back on the Linux track and using Ubuntu! Glad that I step back on!

Beans

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

I am a woman who has used Debian based systems for all my computing since 1996 when the first Debian 1.3.1 CDs became available in the UK. I had previously used Slackware on my home PC which was a distinctly hybrid machine I built using a variety of free scrap pieces of all sorts of computers including a few PCs and some unix workstations and even an old Kontron supplied some of the circuits. I previously used to use a variety of Unix systems for work, but transferred all my work to Debian workstations once I had a Debian box built.

My current workstation is one I built myself. I have a couple of times bought off-the-shelf PCs, but found them to be unreliable and expensive and having an often unfortunate combination of components. I therefore prefer to build my own computers.

I know a few other women who use Ubuntu and Debian. I converted to Ubuntu a few years ago because it seemed an easier way of getting proprietory graphics drivers to give a good display. Though Debian now seems to have made that easier again.

Beans

Smile Re: List the name of women using Ubuntu

Luisa

hello!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I use Ubuntu, though I run GNOME 3 an XFCE depending on system specs (which is to say that me & my husband run GNOME 3, an our kids XFCE since they have my 10yr old desktop ). I've been running Ubuntu since 6.06, an before that a completely random selection of distros since ~1998/1999, though mostly Slackware & its derivatives

Most recently I was a GNOME Outreach Program for Women intern, an have just been accepted to Google Summer of Code working on GNOME Clock
    Whatever you can do, or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it. - Goethe

Education is what is left when you have forgotten all the facts. -Francis Bacon

Beans

My girlfriend is a woman (thank god ) - and she uses Xubuntu

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Arrow Re: List the name of women using Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Rachel_Eliason View Post
    . I've wondered more than once if I should start a Trans-friendly forum.
    Hi Rachel I think a tg.women friendly Linux group ( not on Facebook) would be great.
    One of my house mates and closest friends is tg.
    I'd like to join Linuxchix but it's email and I prefer forums over e mail.
    Down at the bottom is my sig...There are 3 women on LI...I'm one of them. I wish there were at least a dozen more.
    I've used Linux for eight years.Getting ready to install a new distro since 10.10 is on it's last legs...I'll have a 2and computer for work with the latest Ubuntu on it..Will be finding out if I can stand Unity or not.
    Last edited by Linuxratty; May 17th, 2012 at 06:39 PM.
    A friendly & helpful Linux community who has started a large cursor theme project. If you are sick of tiny cursors, go here and get one.
    http://linuxinternationals.org/forum...orum.php?f=166

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I am a woman and just started using Ubuntu. I have never used it before and so may sound a bit daft from time to time. However that has nothing to do with my being a woman It has everything to do with loving to try out something new and also Windows dying on a laptop!

I would prefer a facebook forum as I use it a lot but any kind is ok by me except those irc things as I find them confusing with everyone talking at once!

J

Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast