Thread: Can I create an exact image of my ubuntu partition and use it to reinstall?

Beans

Can I create an exact image of my ubuntu partition and use it to reinstall?

I have Ubuntu 8.10 on ppc64 PS3. I was wondering if there's a tool or something that lets me take the exact image of the partition [and swap] and put it on my friend's ps3. The hardware is exactly the same of couse, so there shouldn't be any issues. Is this possible? if so, is there a tool for the ppc architecture?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Can I create an exact image of my ubuntu partition and use it to reinstall?

Quote Originally Posted by andrewwg94 View Post
    I have Ubuntu 8.10 on ppc64 PS3. I was wondering if there's a tool or something that lets me take the exact image of the partition [and swap] and put it on my friend's ps3. The hardware is exactly the same of couse, so there shouldn't be any issues. Is this possible? if so, is there a tool for the ppc architecture?
    partimage (there is no need to copy swap - ever).
    Regards, David.
    Please use the Forum search and Wiki search for immediate help
    Please mark your thread as Solved when appropriate
    New to technical forums?: How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Personally i like clonezilla. Very easy to use in my opinion and it gets the job done. Look HERE for more INFO and the download.
    My Launchpad
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    My Wiki Page

Beans

Hello,
    sorry I'm a new user of linux and I'm completly unable to do anything...but I learn quick!
    I have the same problem: I need to create an image of my ubuntu partition and use it to reinstall ubuntu (I have a dual boot on my laptop, but Windows Vista has actually some problem and probably I'll need to reinstall it and I'm really afraid I'll lose the Linux partition in doing that!).
    Could you please tell me what I have to do, step-by-step, to make the linux image (I've Ubuntu 9.10 on DELL Latitude D830) and to reinstall ubuntu starting from that?
    If I well understand it will allow me to have the exact configuration (with all my programs) that I actually have, is it right?
    Thank you very much for your help
    Paola

PS The problem I have with Vista is posted here, if you need:
    http://en.community.dell.com/forums/....aspx#19634595
    http://social.answers.microsoft.com/...0-b5276b2a660d
    Last edited by seymar; January 18th, 2010 at 06:38 AM.