Thread: Been a While!

Beans

Been a While!

Well, I'm visiting this forum again after nearly a year. Had a great dialogue with simon.a.ruiz about "command line/terminal vs GUI" in the thread "Hello from Logansport." Immediately after, my work load as a carpenter dumped on me and forum visits became infrequent for me. Never even saw simon's final response in that thread! But during the past several months my Ubuntu knowledge accelerated dramatically. --I started building Ubuntu based systems for sale, as well as well as partitioning Vista and XP systems that people were pissed off with. I am now getting people with brand new Vista machines hiring me to help them make the switch to Ubuntu! I started using Remastersys to create my own Ubuntu distro with the necessary codecs, libraries and software which I like and recommend. I tend to use a lot of non-free stuff, because that is what people know coming from *******. If they can use MP3's, DVDs, and familiar software (like Skype and Picasa) right off the bat, then they feel as though they are in familiar terrain. The legal issues of these things are all hotly debated, so I perform the installation as an end-user agent (they still have to click the program's Terms/Conditions "I agree" box), and I feel as though I am in safe place legally that way (MPEG-LA isn't likely to pursue me for a licensing fee).

So, although I'm a part of the ebb and flow mentioned in a recent thread, I thought I'd share that us Ubuntu users are here for the long-haul, and the road from newbie to avid, educated user, is very short one!

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Been a While!

Nice to hear!
    Last edited by lukjad; December 18th, 2009 at 11:27 PM.
    Another round of Ubuntu for my friends here!
    Fighting to bring Pink back to The Pink Ponies archive.
    DELETE INSANITY!

Beans

I am glad to hear about your progress.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Glad to hear there is hope for me! I just started using Linux in August of this year. I wish my learning would accelerate suddenly. I just finished my first class in Network Administration though Ivy Tech, looking to change careers in the near future.

But tonight, I am scratching my head trying to figure out how to set up an old PC as a print server so I can use the Vista machine and my Linux machines on the same printer via the router. Most of this is VERY new to me, but I just keep rolling up my sleeves, digging in, and making mistakes. Then I run to the forums to find some answers

It's been a fun journey so far, and now I'm hooked.

Glad to hear you are busy. There are a LOT of people just wishing they had a job right now.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by rmccutchan View Post
    But tonight, I am scratching my head trying to figure out how to set up an old PC as a print server so I can use the Vista machine and my Linux machines on the same printer via the router. Most of this is VERY new to me, but I just keep rolling up my sleeves, digging in, and making mistakes. Then I run to the forums to find some answers
    To share printers between Linux and Windows, take a look at Samba. https://help.ubuntu.com/8.10/serverg...intserver.html has some setup info for Ubuntu 8.10 - it should be about the same with more recent Ubuntu versions as well.