Thread: Compaq CQ60-210TU CPU NOT Throttling

Beans

[solved] Compaq CQ60-210TU CPU NOT Throttling

Just bought myself one of these. Everything is working fine (wireless too) but it won't throttle the CPU. When I load the applet onto the task bar it says "...your machine may be misconfigured or not have hardware support for CPU frequency scaling". Now it's brand new so it must be a configuration issue. Can anyone point me in the right direction please?

It's a dual-core celeron 1.66GHz on a "series 4" intel chipset

Edit: Well the solution is loading p4-clockmod as acpi-cpufreq doesn't seem to work with it, or speedstep-centrino. modprobing p4-clockmod in then restarting the gnome-applet seems to have done the trick
    Last edited by Moustacha; March 7th, 2009 at 05:37 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Re: Compaq CQ60-210TU CPU NOT Throttling

Hi, I have exactly the same issue as you! I am having a T1600 celeron dual-core 1.66Ghz too. It's running at stock frequency all the time and the notebook is hot and noisy. Would you please tell me how to enable scaling by modprobing p4-clockmod? Thanks!

EDIT:I did sudo modprobe p4-clockmod in terminal and scaling is working now. Thanks for your thread.
    Last edited by afeasfaerw23231233; March 16th, 2009 at 03:10 PM.
    Ubuntu 7.10 on P4 1.8G and PIII 933mHz

Beans

open a terminal and run this command.

Code:
    $ sudo modprobe p4-clockmod
    that loads the p4-clockmod module. To make sure it will always load at start up you need to put it into /etc/modules

Code:
    $ sudo vim /etc/modules
    then put 'p4-clockmod' at the bottom, without the '

Once you've done that, remove the cpu monitoring applet from your gnome panel if it's on there, then add it again and it should show the cpu being ~200MHz.

For some reason setting the applet to run with super user privelages doesn't let you change the governer on-demand, it still asks you for the sudo password.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Bad news! I searched the forum and found out that p4-clockmod actually won't save power usage.
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=309403

Code:
    p4-clockmod: Warning: Pentium M detected. The speedstep_centrino module offers voltage scaling in addition of frequency scaling. You should use that instead of p4-clockmod, if possible.
    It's a 'throttling" feature to lower the FSB frequency while the cpu is overheat. The true power saving speedstep lowers the voltage and the multiplier.
    p4-clockmod won't increase the battery runtime.

It can be confirm by running the command
    cat /proc/acpi/battery/BAT0/state

It may lower the fan speed as the cpu is a bit cooler and may save 1 watt. But no significant actual use for saving power consumption

p.s.
    The power consumption of my notebook is always higher then 24W (11.1V x 2.2A) even it is idle (wifi off, min brightness, speakers mute, etc). I guess EIST not enable is the cause. I cannot get speedstep work in XP either.
    I don't know if it's the BIOS or chipsets or OS problem.
    My notebook is with the darn SiS 671MX chipsets.

What's your spec?
    Last edited by afeasfaerw23231233; March 16th, 2009 at 05:26 PM.

Beans

The intel website says the CPU supports EIST...if it's the mobile celeron. I *hope* they put the mobile version in my laptop =\
    http://processorfinder.intel.com/Det...px?sSpec=SLB6J

I'm gonna have to google more and see if i can find a solution

There also seems to be this bug
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...ux/+bug/332846
    I'm gonna give another distro a go and see if it solves that
    Last edited by Moustacha; March 17th, 2009 at 03:37 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

I am sure my cpu is a Mobile Celeron Dual-core as I can see it's a small socket P 479-pin cpu (the cpu just lie beside the ram slot) with the string "166 x 10 =1.66Ghz 1MB cache T1600 etc. lshw and /proc/cpuinfo also match the T1600 specifications of T1600 on the intel processor finder page. If it's a desktop cpu it will be so huge to fit inside the notebook (LGA 775). The I bet yours is Mobile Celeron Dual-core t1600 too.
    The BIOS has no available setting beside boot order. Speedstep/EIST doesn't work on windows xp too.

I doubt if it is a BIOS problem.
    In the firmware section of "sudo lshw"
    Code:
         *-firmware
              description: BIOS
              vendor: OEM
              physical id: 0
              version: 1.13 (07/05/2008)
              size: 107KiB
              capacity: 960KiB
              capabilities: isa pci pnp apm upgrade shadowing escd cdboot bootselect
     edd int13floppynec int13floppy360 int13floppy1200 int13floppy720 int13floppy288
    0 int5printscreen int9keyboard int14serial int17printer int10video acpi usb ls120boot zipboot biosbootspecification
    There's no speedstep or EIST listed on the capabilities line.
    I am searching the web to see whether the firmware section of "sudo firmware" from a system with a speedstep capable cpu has an extra item listed on the capabilities line.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

I find some information.
    According to this page
    http://blog.incase.de/index.php/cpu-...heir-meanings/
    EST/EIST is stand for speedstep. If it doesn't show up in /proc/cpuinfo then it may be a BIOS problem. Have a look at this bug report https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=221728

That should explain why I can't get frequency scaling work on windows xp too.
    huh, it is running hot and battery life time is short!

I googled the web for "cat /proc/acpi/battery/BAT0/state" and most notebooks with the same spec as mine have a power consumption of 15W - 18W (A x V). But mine is drawing more than 24W even it is doing nothing and everything is at minimal! I have tried laptop-mode. Doesn't make big difference.

Wish that I can modify BIOS settings by a software!
    Last edited by afeasfaerw23231233; March 17th, 2009 at 04:59 AM.

Beans

If it is a BIOS bug I don't have much hope of trying to fix it then. The level of secrecy in laptop BIOS' is insane.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Unluckily the customer support site doesn't provide any BIOS for me to download. I sent an email to request for a BIOS (either the old one or an updated version) two weeks ago. Never get any reply. Worst customer support ever.
    It is the crappiest BIOS I have ever seen. The only avilable settings are date/time and boot orders. Long time ago I borrowed a PIII notebook from the library and the setting in its BIOS was much more detail.