Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New Build of Windows 7 Allows Users to Uninstall IE 8

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

New Build of Windows 7 Allows Users to Uninstall IE 8

http://www.computerworld.com/action/...icleId=9128976

A just-leaked build of Windows 7 lets users remove Internet Explorer (IE), the first time that Microsoft Corp. has offered the option since it integrated the browser with Windows in 1997, two bloggers reported today.
    I think this is fantastic news. Discuss!

Beans

Re: New Build of Windows 7 Allows Users to Uninstall IE 8

Im big on Firefox. Cant say the number of time a prgram will open IE as my "main browser" was very annoying. Im liking this change a lot.

Beans

Great to hear, it seems Microsoft do learn from mistakes and provide a better product for the users.
    Collecting data is only the first step toward wisdom but sharing data is the first step toward community

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mihai007 View Post
    Great to hear, it seems Microsoft do learn from mistakes and provide a better product for the users.
    It might be a move to satisfy certain anti-trust lawsuits against them, rather than a free gesture of good-will or of lessons learned.
    PhenomII 720x4@3.65gHz w/Zalman cooler,PNY Nvidia GTX260, 4GB, Arch64

14 is NOT a random number!!!!!
    Arch Linux | new Other OS Talk forum

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Quote Originally Posted by Skripka View Post
    It might be a move to satisfy certain anti-trust lawsuits against them, rather than a free gesture of good-will or of lessons learned.
    Lol, I don't think microsoft is one to "learn" from mistakes. I think they do things they don't want when they are forced to. One might remember a specific "Project Mojave" they did to try and jump start sales of vista, when everyone thought it sucked, perfect example of them not listening. "It's not what they want.. we will just have to cram it down their throats."

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

How is this fantastic news? It should have been done a long time ago. It also still comes installed as default.

Anyway it has no bearing on me, at least at home, as none of my computers run MS software.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I think any OS should come with an option to remove, and install every program installed with it. Like when I install Ubuntu, I would like to get an option to install any open source web browser.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by gjoellee View Post
    I think any OS should come with an option to remove, and install every program installed with it. Like when I install Ubuntu, I would like to get an option to install any open source web browser.
    Well you can remove IE now...it will just kill your entire OS . The same with the bloated pig that is Mac Mail.
    PhenomII 720x4@3.65gHz w/Zalman cooler,PNY Nvidia GTX260, 4GB, Arch64

14 is NOT a random number!!!!!
    Arch Linux | new Other OS Talk forum

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by JohnFH View Post
    How is this fantastic news? It should have been done a long time ago. It also still comes installed as default.
    Yes, but from what I've read, even if Internet Explorer is installed as the default browser, it isn't attached to anything in the operating system at all as in previous versions of Windows. The operating system no longer relies on the existence of Internet Explorer to work properly. Therefore, it can be uninstalled safely and replaced with an alternate browser.

Beans

But you still should'nt get excited over MS making win7 work the way an OS should. It's not a wonderful new feature, it's the way it should have always been.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast