Thread: reconfigure grub

Beans

reconfigure grub

hello,
    this might be obvious but i didn't find it anywhere on the forums yet:

i installed grub along with ubuntu

then i installed grub along with another distro on another partition, both distros were in the grub menu stored on the other partition, all fine

but since ubuntu is my main working environment and other partitions are supposed to be "playground" i wanted grub back on ubuntu and ran "grub-install hd0" in ubuntu. this restored my previous grub menu without the new distro.

so my question: how can i make grub "scan" for all operating systems, like when installing it along with ubuntu the first time? "grub-install" apparently used the old menu.lst that was already there before.
    Last edited by Andreas1; March 5th, 2009 at 03:45 PM.
    As you can see from my history, i was once an enthusiastic ubuntu user. I would hereby like to assert that i no longer recommend using ubuntu to anyone. I recommend using one of the many distributions that do not include ad-/spyware by default.

Beans

Re: reconfigure grub

You can edit /boot/grub/menu.lst by hand and add an entry for the other distro.

Code:
    gksudo gedit /boot/grub/menu.lst
    In the world of Linux, who needs Windows and Gates...

Got most of my golden beans at an auction on eBay (with a couple of free drinks).

Beans

thank you

i did what you said, copied the new entries from playground/boot/grub/menu.lst to ubuntu/boot/grub/menu.lst, all work fine.

two questions though, more out of curiosity:

-do automatic changes to menu.lst (kernel updates) interfere with manual entries? and what if the kernel of the playground distro was updated?

-is there a way to "scan" for operating systems and reinstall/reset grub accordingly? how does it work when you install a distro? does is append the previous grub configuration found on a partition to the new one or does it find operating systems themselves, like with windows?
    As you can see from my history, i was once an enthusiastic ubuntu user. I would hereby like to assert that i no longer recommend using ubuntu to anyone. I recommend using one of the many distributions that do not include ad-/spyware by default.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.10 Yakkety Yak

Many thanks!