Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Installation crashes on the new early 2009 White Macbooks

Beans

Installation crashes on the new early 2009 White Macbooks

When you try to boot the live CD, it crashes right after you select the option "Try ubuntu without changing your computer".
    To avoid the crash instead of selecting that option, press F6 twice and mark the option "acpi=off". Then Press ESC and Enter to boot.
    "First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win."

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Installation crashes on the new early 2009 White Macbooks

Quote Originally Posted by sistoviejo View Post
    When you try to boot the live CD, it crashes right after you select the option "Try ubuntu without changing your computer".
    To avoid the crash instead of selecting that option, press F6 twice and mark the option "acpi=off". Then Press ESC and Enter to boot.
    can you get the hardware version ID from your machine as indicated here:
    https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MactelSuppor...are%20revision

Beans

I had the same issue, I corrected it by re-installing mac os(I had successfully copied ubuntu image onto drive). I ran the firmware updates, then I used boot camp and reefit and got no errors with a freshly downloaded and burned copy of ubuntu(incase there was some sort of update that helped, this step may be completely unnecessary, but it seemed to help.)

no longer does my ubuntu boot cd crash upon loading. The problem I believe is actually corrected under the efi update.

anyways, hope this helps you.

I have a macbook pro 5,1 aluminum uni-body.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by cyberdork33 View Post
    can you get the hardware version ID from your machine as indicated here:
    https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MactelSuppor...are%20revision
    I get this: MacBook5,2
    As I mentioned in the title, it's an early 2009 White MacBook.

A few other issues I had:
    - Apparently sound doesn't work out of the box.
    - When you try to shutdown it down, the computer stays On with a blank screen.
    Last edited by sistoviejo; March 5th, 2009 at 11:44 PM.
    "First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win."

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

As I mentioned in the title, it's an early 2009 White MacBook.
    that doesn't necessarily mean anything... the version number does...

A few other issues I had:
    - Apparently sound doesn't work out of the box.
    - When you try to shutdown it down, the computer stays On with a blank screen.
    These both sound similar to the MacBook5,1. I would check out that documentation.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

I have exactly the same problem with the macbook white. It's the one with the following specs:
    Core2duo 2Ghz 3MB cache FSB 1066Mhz
    2GB ram
    nVidia 9400M

Hardware Version output:
    hw.model: MacBook5,2

I tried the procedure listed in the original post but it doesn't work on my macbook.

I tried ubuntu 8.10 amd64 and i386 cds and it always failed to boot neither with acpi=off

I hope I can get ubuntu running on my macbook.

Thanks for your help.

Joseph
    Last edited by josephdaniel; March 7th, 2009 at 09:37 PM. Reason: correct specs

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by josephdaniel View Post
    I have exactly the same problem with the macbook white. It's the one with the following specs:
    Core2duo 2Ghz 3MB cache FSB 1066Mhz
    2GB ram
    nVidia 9400M

Hardware Version output:
    hw.model: MacBook5,2

I tried the procedure listed in the original post but it doesn't work on my macbook.

I tried ubuntu 8.10 amd64 and i386 cds and it always failed to boot neither with acpi=off

I hope I can get ubuntu running on my macbook.

Thanks for your help.

Joseph
    I was trying to write that on the boot line but it didn't work for me.
    Afterwards I tried pressing F6 twice and a little menu popped up.
    There I was able to tick the "acpi=off" option.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

well I tried selecting acpi=off from the menu and I finally was able to boot the live cd. As expected the live cd ran painfully slow so I restarted into OS X, resized the OS X partition and created an empty partition for ubuntu.

I installed rEFIt, sync'ed the parition table and installed ubuntu 8.10 x64. The installation finished with no problems, grub was installed on linux partition. After restarting, I could no longer boot mac os x or ubuntu. OSX would show the prohibited sign and never actually boot up and ubuntu would hang on the grub list (I have windows xp installed).

After some fiddling, I reset the NVRAM using the method instructed on apple's website so OS X worked once again but ubuntu still hangs at the same step.

I don't know what exactly is going wrong. If someone has successfully got ubuntu running on this machine please tell me.

I've had ubuntu on my old machine and I thought a macbook is going to work well with it. I never could imaging that macbook 5,2 would be so much different from 5,1 (ubuntu was reported to work fine with 5,1).

Any advice will be appreciated.
    Thanks

Beans

well I tried selecting acpi=off from the menu and I finally was able to boot the live cd. ...
    As posted before I have the same laptop and was able to get Ubuntu, mac os and windows triple boot working. I had many issues though. Apparently you're only supposed to partition the hard drive once before you install MACOS using it's Disk Utility. Any move/resize/delete or creation of partitions later will bring problems.

I used these tutorials:
    1 - http://wiki.onmac.net/index.php/Trip...t_via_BootCamp
    2 - http://tripleboot.is2.byuh.edu/

I tried many times following the instructions but had problems... I think only on my 7th or 8th try could it get all the OSs working. In the end I decided to read the instructions from top to bottom and found some tips that made the task possible.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

well I tried selecting acpi=off from the menu and I finally was able to boot the live cd. As expected the live cd ran painfully slow so I restarted into OS X, resized the OS X partition and created an empty partition for ubuntu.

I installed rEFIt, sync'ed the parition table and installed ubuntu 8.10 x64. The installation finished with no problems, grub was installed on linux partition. After restarting, I could no longer boot mac os x or ubuntu. OSX would show the prohibited sign and never actually boot up and ubuntu would hang on the grub list (I have windows xp installed).

After some fiddling, I reset the NVRAM using the method instructed on apple's website so OS X worked once again but ubuntu still hangs at the same step.

I don't know what exactly is going wrong. If someone has successfully got ubuntu running on this machine please tell me.

I've had ubuntu on my old machine and I thought a macbook is going to work well with it. I never could imaging that macbook 5,2 would be so much different from 5,1 (ubuntu was reported to work fine with 5,1).

Any advice will be appreciated.
    Thanks
    you need to sync the partitions AFTER installing Ubuntu. You should create a rEFIt cd or USB drive.
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Ma...elInstallation

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast