Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Internet (and Firefox) ALOT Slower on Ubuntu than Windows

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Internet (and Firefox) ALOT Slower on Ubuntu than Windows

Hi.
    I have my machine set up to duel boot Ubuntu 8.10 and Windows 7.
    I've noticed that my Internet connection seems to be a lot faster in windows than in Ubuntu. Why is this, and more importantly, how can I fix it.
    (The same was true when I was using Windows Vista - it beat the crap out of Ubuntu in terms of Internet speed)

I'm kind of a linux noob, so it there's more information you need let me know and I'll post it.

Thanks.
    Last edited by Matthileo; March 4th, 2009 at 03:55 PM.

Beans

Re: Internet (and Firefox) ALOT Slower on Ubuntu than Windows

Hi,

I've posted the exact same issue recently and it seems that no one has an answer for this apparently very common issue. I find it surprising that an OS that look so polished and powerful as Ubuntu has such a fundamental issue.

Beans
    Distro

Update:

I guess when I'm on campus my connection is just as fast in Ubuntu as in Windows, but for some reason on my home network it's a lot slower...

Beans
    Distro

bump

Beans
    Distro

It's weird.
    This is like the third time in a row I've asked for help on the forums and gotten none.

Beans

Perhaps your MTU is set wrong? If you're on cable, go 1500. Normal I think is 1492.

Just how much of a difference in speed are you talking?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Probably too many variables that will not allow a genuine comparison or resolution.

What preferences are present in each instance of the browser;
    How long you have used the browser in each OS ? (Firefox may, with its dodgy site tracker save info to your HDD and if it is starting from scratch on a new install could well slow you down, I turned this off on mine and stopped my HDD thrashing whilst browsing, and even that could be down to some other coincidence.!)
    Comparison of connection .. could have been unlucky and gotten a bad connection/peak time/line maintenence issue which is beyond your control ...
    Even, perhaps, (speaking with no authority on the matter whatsoever) you have 3D effects on in Ubuntu and no Aero 3D interface whatsits running in Win 7 or whatever..

Maybe there just are not enough Win 7 and Ubuntu users out there to offer you any thoughts...
    It would take a lot of discreet testing of identical machines simultaneously on a known (and measured ) connection to offer a solid benchmark.

So, unless a friendly Firefox developer passes by who knows something 'special' ... or a sudden glut of Win 7 and Ubuntu users who are bowled over by Win 7's browsing performance..
    you will probably not get an immediate 'answer' on an Ubuntu forum to this particular question.. sorry.. no 'answer' but I hope I have at least provided a 'reply'.
    Last edited by Zimmer; March 5th, 2009 at 02:10 PM. Reason: EDIT.. note that people are reading the thread :) even if not replying..

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Zimmer View Post
    Probably too many variables that will not allow a genuine comparison or resolution.

What preferences are present in each instance of the browser;
    How long you have used the browser in each OS ? (Firefox may, with its dodgy site tracker save info to your HDD and if it is starting from scratch on a new install could well slow you down, I turned this off on mine and stopped my HDD thrashing whilst browsing, and even that could be down to some other coincidence.!)
    Comparison of connection .. could have been unlucky and gotten a bad connection/peak time/line maintenence issue which is beyond your control ...
    Even, perhaps, (speaking with no authority on the matter whatsoever) you have 3D effects on in Ubuntu and no Aero 3D interface whatsits running in Win 7 or whatever..

Maybe there just are not enough Win 7 and Ubuntu users out there to offer you any thoughts...
    It would take a lot of discreet testing of identical machines simultaneously on a known (and measured ) connection to offer a solid benchmark.

So, unless a friendly Firefox developer passes by who knows something 'special' ... or a sudden glut of Win 7 and Ubuntu users who are bowled over by Win 7's browsing performance..
    you will probably not get an immediate 'answer' on an Ubuntu forum to this particular question.. sorry.. no 'answer' but I hope I have at least provided a 'reply'.
    First, the same was true when I was using Vista and Ubuntu, and I know there are significantly more users in that category than the Win7/Ubuntu category.

Second, The disparity between performance in Windows and Ubuntu only happens on my home network, but not when I access the internet from my school's wireless.

My best guess is that there is some conflict between Ubuntu and my wireless router at home. But because I am an amateur at the whole linux thing, I was hoping to find some help troubleshooting this issue here, on the forums.

Thank you though, for the reply

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Huufarted View Post
    Perhaps your MTU is set wrong? If you're on cable, go 1500. Normal I think is 1492.

Just how much of a difference in speed are you talking?
    There is a 3-6 second delay before firefox begins downloading a webpage in ubuntu.

I'm not sure what MTU is.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Matthileo View Post
    There is a 3-6 second delay before firefox begins downloading a webpage in ubuntu.

I'm not sure what MTU is.
    Now THAT sounds like a routing issue. Post us a 'netstat -rn' from Windows and from Ubuntu. The command will be the same. That's a (- r n) without the spaces or parentheses.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast