Thread: Can't change file permissions from root as owner

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Question Can't change file permissions from root as owner

[warning: if this question has been asked before please just forward me onto it. I rarely find what I need using the search tool. And if this thread is in the wrong place I am sure a moderator will move it. Thanks]

A while ago I copied my Home Directory to a removable HDD as a temporary back-up solution. I have since found out that I have lost all ownership of the file to root. I logged on as root (I don't know how to do this in the terminal) and tried to change the the ownership and group permission settings back to my user name but it would keep flipping back to root.

I am stuck now because I want to compress and archive the folder for history's sake but can't because I am not root. (and no, I don't want to do it as root)

Please help

Beans

Re: Can't change file permissions from root as owner

What filesystem is on the removable hard drive? FAT32 and NTFS cannot store unix permissions.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by glubbdrubb View Post
    [warning: if this question has been asked before please just forward me onto it. I rarely find what I need using the search tool. And if this thread is in the wrong place I am sure a moderator will move it. Thanks]

A while ago I copied my Home Directory to a removable HDD as a temporary back-up solution. I have since found out that I have lost all ownership of the file to root. I logged on as root (I don't know how to do this in the terminal) and tried to change the the ownership and group permission settings back to my user name but it would keep flipping back to root.

I am stuck now because I want to compress and archive the folder for history's sake but can't because I am not root. (and no, I don't want to do it as root)

Please help
    moved to general help.

As indicated by cdenley my guess would be you copied the files to a FAT or NTFS file system.

It would help if you posted the exact commands you are running and any error messages you are getting.
    There are two mistakes one can make along the road to truth...not going all the way, and not starting.
    --Prince Gautama Siddharta

#ubuntuforums web interface

Beans
    Distro

Yes, it is formatted with NTFS. (which is how most of these consumer drives ship. And I need it to stay that way because I need other PC's to read it)

I did not use any commands to copy or compress the folder. I logged in as root using the GUI (I don't know the commands to do it any other way).

The error was:

An error occurred while adding files to the archive.
    Permission denied

So how can I access and change the files stored on the drive if ntfs does not support permissions?

What is cdenley?

Beans

I did not use any commands to copy or compress the folder. I logged in as root using the GUI (I don't know the commands to do it any other way).
    Logging in to the GUI as root is a terribly insecure thing to do.

So how can I access and change the files stored on the drive if ntfs does not support permissions?
    You can either change the user you access the files as, or change the way it is mounted to assign it the correct permissions at mount time.

What is cdenley?
    I am.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

See this guide for how to set permissions :

How to fstab - Ubuntu Forums
    There are two mistakes one can make along the road to truth...not going all the way, and not starting.

Beans
    Distro

Thanks for your help so far.

I read through the fstab page but me in my inexperience did not see the part where drive permissions are explained. Please help.

I do understand the power and danger of root(I have administered XP for 5 years and Admin + average user = trouble). But I have two issues. I don't know the commands to do what I need to do in the terminal and when I do log in as root it is only for very specific functions (like changing file permissions).

Beans

Thanks for your help so far.

I read through the fstab page but me in my inexperience did not see the part where drive permissions are explained. Please help.

I do understand the power and danger of root(I have administered XP for 5 years and Admin + average user = trouble). But I have two issues. I don't know the commands to do what I need to do in the terminal and when I do log in as root it is only for very specific functions (like changing file permissions).
    This seems pretty relevant:
    VFAT/NTFS:

Ownership and permissios of vfat / ntfs are set at the time of mounting.
    Also, running nautilus as root is much safer than running everything as root.
    Code:
    gksu nautilus

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

The basic format is

mount /dev/sdxy /mount_point -o uid=1000,gid=100,umask=007

uid = user
    gid = group
    umask = set permissions

The "tick" is umask if the inverse of permissions , or permissions not to have.

See this link, umask is at the bottom

http://www.comptechdoc.org/os/linux/..._ugfilesp.html