Thread: How closely is Debain and Ubuntu working?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Smile How closely is Debain and Ubuntu working?

I just wanted to know how closely Debian and Ubuntu are working together for example:

1.) Are changes to packages being shared together very often?

2.) Do the Debian and Ubuntu developers keep in close communication?

3.) Does it appear that Ubuntu will influence the future of Debian, like goals they have, or how their organization will run, if so how?

4.) Ubuntu's website claims Debian is the rock upon which Ubuntu is built, so is Ubuntu concerned with strengthing its rock? If so how?

5.) Will Ubuntu and Debian ever hold joint conferences to discuss ways they can compliment each other?

6.) Anything else like these questions?

Beans

Re: How closely is Debain and Ubuntu working?

Im not sure exactly how it works. But, it was my understanding that because Ubuntu progresses faster(much faster) than Debian stable and that ubuntu devs create some custom packages, as Ubuntu develops it will grow farther and farther from debian stable. That supposedly is ticking off the debian guys.

Im not sure where I read that or how reliable it is.

soule
    Support your Distro.
    http://store.slackware.com/cgi-bin/store
    Archlinux Schwag

Main - Laptop - Ubuntu 5.10 Breezy/XP Pro
    Desktop - ArchLinux 0.7.1 Fluxbox
    Server - Slackware 10.2

Screenshots

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

I would be very surprised to hear that Debian developers are unhappy about the success of Ubuntu. Ubuntu is doing great things not only for Debian, but for lots of other Linux distributions and various projects. At the beginning of Ubuntu I read in various places that some Debian developers were concerned that Ubuntu was a fork, that is wasn't binary compatible with certain versions, etc. Mark Shuttleworth has a wiki entry that explains what his reasons for Ubuntu are, and how he sees the relationship between this project and the Debian project. My favorite addition to this discussion was the video from a DebConf (I think 2005... may be wrong) in which Mark Shuttleworth presented his ideas about the future of the Ubuntu project and how it would be working with the Debian community. I don't have a link at the moment, and I don't even know if I have a backup of the movie (it's about an hour long movie and a fairly large file), but it definitely worth checking out.

EDIT: Found a link to the DebConf5 video of Mark Shuttleworth (257MB):
    http://meetings-archive.debian.net/p...ttleworth.mpeg
    Last edited by joshuapurcell; December 27th, 2005 at 05:32 AM.

Beans
    Distro

Look,
    I know some might feel this is an unneeded thread for they have pointed out Mark already has a wiki that explains some things. To be honest I was hoping it would spark a discussion, especally from the developers, throwing out ideas on the floor. There is too much potential here by the two working together to ignore the issue.

1) Mark seems incrediably innovative, I think Debian could use that. His wiki I believe is right on the money, but I feel more could be done between the two than are said on the wiki.

2) Debian is democratic and has proven over years it does a good job running a completely voluntary community.

3) Debian has many developers.

4.) Ubuntu has pulled off in many areas things the over a thousand Debian developers haven't been able to do.

5) Two heads working together are better than one.

I know probably most disagree but I almost think if the two decided to approach linux like they were brothers with a common cause, far better things would come than if both just do their own think and being okay with that. I'm not saying they should merge, but why not hold common conferences and do things like that?
    Anyways, I'm just a regular Ubuntu user, not a member or anyone who has necessarly very good ideas or much good to contribute. But, I personally believe if people would pool their ideas together, get ideas circulating around and brainstorming on how the two distros could work to compliment the other, this union will be the greatest thing that may ever happen to linux.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jsmidt
    Look,
    I know some might feel this is an unneeded thread for they have pointed out Mark already has a wiki that explains some things.
    How do you reach that conclusion? Mark's wiki page does answer most (if not all) of your questions, and you didn't state that you wanted a discussion instead of answers to your questions in your original post, so I simply linked to the page, and I wonder why my post has disappeared.

1) Mark seems incrediably innovative, I think Debian could use that. His wiki I believe is right on the money, but I feel more could be done between the two than are said on the wiki.
    Please elaborate; what more do you think can be done?

3) Debian has many developers.
    Every Debian developer is effectively an Ubuntu developer, and vica versa.

I know probably most disagree but I almost think if the two decided to approach linux like they were brothers with a common cause, far better things would come than if both just do their own think and being okay with that. I'm not saying they should merge, but why not hold common conferences and do things like that?
    They're brothers with similar causes, but not the same cause. Mark explains on his wiki page the exact reasons why he decided to fork/derive Debian instead of contributing directly to it. And Ubuntu devs, as well as Mark, do show up in DebConfs, as do devs and contributors of many other Debian based distros; I strongly suggest you watch the DebConf video joshuapurcell linked to.
    Last edited by 23meg; December 27th, 2005 at 06:47 AM.
    Previously known as 23meg

Beans
    Distro

thanks 23meg and joshuapurcell,
    Those links helped out a lot I just need to be more informed.