Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: songbird my review

Beans

songbird my review

it's the best music player I have come across.

i dnt need pulse audio either, I could be playing a game and the audio would work (all audio), without it clashing. I think that's because it uses its own gstreamer plugin's.

it also has 1000's of plug ins which are viewable by category on the website.

My conclusion awesome.

Beans

Re: songbird my review

I think it's awesome too, but if you're looking for something just to play your songs then it's not the best choice. It has tons of features, plus it's a browser, so don't expect it to be too lightweight.
    Software should be smart, not clever

Beans

Meh, I found Songbird to be unnecessarily bloated and even had some problems with it crashing or just flat out stop working at times. I've been using Banshee for the past couple of days and find it to be much better, and it's the only media player I've found that naturally works with my keyboard's media keys.

Though I did like some of the plugins for Songbird.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I like songbird, it doesn't yet have all the features I want yet (like listing to last.fm like you can in other linux players) But it is getting there, they do have plans for a last.fm playing plugin, and they are always working on proformance and stability with each release, I am also looking forward to supporting mtp and usb devices under linux, I hope the implement the .is_audio_player technique to get just about any mp3 player to work with it like banshee does.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by wildman4god View Post
    I like songbird, it doesn't yet have all the features I want yet (like listing to last.fm like you can in other linux players) But it is getting there, they do have plans for a last.fm playing plugin, and they are always working on proformance and stability with each release, I am also looking forward to supporting mtp and usb devices under linux, I hope the implement the .is_audio_player technique to get just about any mp3 player to work with it like banshee does.
    plug ins

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by EnGorDiaz View Post
    plug ins
    This one in specific;
    http://addons.songbirdnest.com/addon/21

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by EnGorDiaz View Post
    it's the best music player I have come across.

My conclusion awesome.
    I totally agree. With following reservations:

1. No Equalizer yet ( how bizarre???)
    2. No last.fm plugin yet

Over all, Songbird (Mozilla based) is a closest thing to iTunes, a gold standard of simplicity and functionality.
    Amarok, Banshee, Exaile, Rhythmbox, Listen, XMMS and whatnot, ARE ALL just God-awful hiccups..and the sooner these amateurish projects are abandoned, the better for Linux.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by TeoK View Post
    2. No last.fm plugin yet
    There's a last fm plugin available see the above posts. Otherwise I love songbird, it's totally bloated and it's against everything I usually demand out of software but I love the fact that's a full feature media player that for me is one of the few on par with Winamp. However ever since I've taken the plunge into KDE, I've actually enjoyed amarok and in Arch mpd has easily become my favorite way of playing music ( with both ncmpcpp or Ario, both are awesome ).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Quote Originally Posted by TeoK View Post
    I totally agree. With following reservations:

1. No Equalizer yet ( how bizarre???)
    2. No last.fm plugin yet

Over all, Songbird (Mozilla based) is a closest thing to iTunes, a gold standard of simplicity and functionality.
    Amarok, Banshee, Exaile, Rhythmbox, Listen, XMMS and whatnot, ARE ALL just God-awful hiccups..and the sooner these amateurish projects are abandoned, the better for Linux.
    What is wrong with all those music players? I have a Mac and Ubuntu computer and i think iTunes is mediocre at best, it cant even tag my songs properly (which Amarok and Rhythmbox both do). Infact im keeping an eye on both Songbird and Amarok for Mac for when they can replace iTunes. Infact even Banshee is on Mac which i will be looking at.

Anyway i quite Songbird but why the web browser im staying clear for now though because those Plugins keep you roped forever as is the case with Firefox already with all them great plugins. Ill wait till Songbirds better to i really start using it.
    Currently Watching - Fringe, How I Met Your Mother, Big Bang Theory, V, Flashforward, SGU, Lost + Dr Who

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Songbird fails at doing what it should do best.

Quality Audio Playback. Why is the audio quality and format support so bad? No idea.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast