Thread: IsoBuster alternative

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

IsoBuster alternative

Does anyone know of an alternative to IsoBuster for Linux?
    As it is the only windows program that I need from time to time, I have ISO Master but it's no where near equal in features or formats it supports.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: IsoBuster alternative

What functions/features does IsoBuster have? What do you do with it?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I use it to copy files off cd's that seem to be problematic through normal routes, it also allows you to rip a cd to a lot of formats (iso, bin, tao wav etc) and it also lets you open any image file (tao, dao, iso, bin, img, ccd, cif, fcd, gcd, nrg, cdi, mdf, ncd etc) and convert it to another image format or extract the files/audio tracks. It also allows you to scan the cd for errors.

It's sort of the swiss army knife of CD/DVD image files.

For example quite often I'll try to open an iso file in ISO Master and it complains that it isn't recognised but it opens fine in ISO Buster.
    Another example I tried to copy my PSX games to an image file to use with the pSX emulator but Linux can't read them and ISO Master couldn't read the bin file that I produced using ISOBuster.
    Last edited by ezekiel000; March 3rd, 2009 at 04:32 PM.

Beans

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I see. Thanks for the clarification. I don't know of such a powerful program for Linux, as most of those image formats are exclusive to the windows world.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

ezekiel000,
    According to the IsoBuster website it can be run through Wine:

"IsoBuster & Linux
    With the porting of the WinASPI32 dll to Wine, the windows emulator, it is now possible to use IsoBuster on Linux.

http://appdb.winehq.org/appview.php?iAppId=1384"

Edit: I just downloaded it from the IsoBuster website and installed it in Wine - Haven"t run it through it's paces, but looks good so far.
    Last edited by jmszr; March 3rd, 2009 at 05:59 PM. Reason: Additional information

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Thank you, I know I currently use ISOBuster with wine but I'd like to replace it with a Linux native application. Unfortunately AcetoneISO uses qt4 which I'd rather not install, but thank you anyway.

I know I'm being pedantic, it's not a major problem just something that I'd like to do eventually (get rid of all windows applications except games and even then I only play one windows game).

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ezekiel000 View Post
    Thank you, I know I currently use ISOBuster with wine but I'd like to replace it with a Linux native application. Unfortunately AcetoneISO uses qt4 which I'd rather not install, but thank you anyway.

I know I'm being pedantic, it's not a major problem just something that I'd like to do eventually (get rid of all windows applications except games and even then I only play one windows game).
    There were a port for acetoneiso to gtk, but i think that that project is obsolete, xAcetoneISO2

PD: you prefer run a program in wine over install qt lib, incomprehensible and paradoxical
    mujeres y hombres de esta tierra
    un otro mundo es posible
    otro mundo diferente
    justo si, y sin miedo de su gente

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by jjgomera View Post
    There were a port for acetoneiso to gtk, but i think that that project is obsolete, xAcetoneISO2

PD: you prefer run a program in wine over install qt lib, incomprehensible and paradoxical
    I guess it's a bit strange but running a windows program means I need to install wine, but to run AcetoneISO it wants me to install ~20 different qt packages.
    Strange but true