Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Dell Losing interest in Ubuntu?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Dell Losing interest in Ubuntu?

Hey Everyone,

Just noticed something on Dell's website for Ubuntu computers. At first it was six computers, ( a desktop and 5 laptops), then it was reduced to four, and now it is three. Looks like they took out the desktop form the offerings.

This may not be a bad thing as I noticed the mini10 is not in the Ubuntu page, but you can click the "customize with Ubuntu" link when you check out the laptop from their main page.

Maybe they are starting to take the suggestions to have a OS choice when building any computer... good to think positive!

-AR

UPDATE: Sure enough, I checked all over the website and when you click on a main product category, on the left is an OS selection. Desktops have FreeDOS available and laptops have Ubuntu available. I guess they figured Linux people would just do their own flavor on a desktop.
    Last edited by ARhere; March 3rd, 2009 at 02:01 AM.
    Actors make their living playing pretend, so why do we listen to them about how we should live in the real world?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Re: Dell Losing interest in Ubuntu?

As long as Dell still makes netbooks, Ubuntu isn't going anywhere.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

They're always switching things around on there. I think Dell have made a commitment to growing the Ubuntu market and they're reporting 33% share on the Mini 9, so I don't think it's anything to worry about.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by ARhere View Post
    Hey Everyone,

Just noticed something on Dell's website for Ubuntu computers. At first it was six computers, ( a desktop and 5 laptops), then it was reduced to four, and now it is three. Looks like they took out the desktop form the offerings.

This may not be a bad thing as I noticed the mini10 is not in the Ubuntu page, but you can click the "customize with Ubuntu" link when you check out the laptop from their main page.

Maybe they are starting to take the suggestions to have a OS choice when building any computer... good to think positive!

-AR

UPDATE: Sure enough, I checked all over the website and when you click on a main product category, on the left is an OS selection. Desktops have FreeDOS available and laptops have Ubuntu available. I guess they figured Linux people would just do their own flavor on a desktop.
    I read where their marketing strategy is now to sell the higher priced units to maximize profits. Sell less, make more is the goal. Monopolistic pricing. We'll see if it works, I hope not.

Beans

Laptops are selling better than desktops and since the hardware is better controlled, laptops present less support problems. So it makes sense to provide Ubuntu on all their laptop machines.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

About a 1/3 of the Dell Mini 9 laptops are currently sold with Ubuntu. I doubt they are losing interest as such, it's just not a very big share of their current income and it is a whole new system for them to support and train their people in answering questions for.

They still have their Linux department and Matt Domsch is still on the Fedora board. They are still invested in Linux, so let them find the correct place for Ubuntu in their line up. Especially now in these hard times.
    On strike during the Oneiric cycle due to ungratefulness of Ubuntu.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I wouldn't buy a Dell in the first place, but I was surprised they dropped Ubuntu on the desktop. Oh well, I build my own anyway.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Most Linux users are probably going to want to install the operating system themselves instead of using the preinstalled version anyway. So why not either 1) sell computers without any OS preinstalled or 2) preinstall a much smaller OS such as FreeDOS.

Beans
    Hidden!

It would be nice to see more main-stream manufacturers offering an option to buy any of their computers without an OS. That would be the day of total choice

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by wolfen69 View Post
    Oh well, I build my own anyway.
    That's precisely why they dropped them.
    I was surprised they dropped Ubuntu on the desktop.
    So don't be surprised. I think I'm one of the few Linux users who do not self-build desktops.

It's simple economics.

If people buy Ubuntu desktops, they'll sell Ubuntu desktops. If people build their own desktops, they'll stop selling Ubuntu desktops.

As most people do not build their own laptops, people actually buy Ubuntu laptops, so they sell Ubuntu laptops.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast