Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Dell Losing interest in Ubuntu?

Beans

Re: Dell Losing interest in Ubuntu?

JANUARY 11 2010 — Dell ran out of Ubuntu Desktop models! The Inspiron 537ST – N was a nice desktop machine shipped without Windows as of last week. Once again drops the ball when it comes to open source. Imagine them running out of ******* Machines; not likely. They could have at least loaded Ubuntu on their Inspiron 580, but no.

Beans

Dell may be losing interest, but Google is gaining interest at the same time.

Google and Canonical are close friends. Just look for a second: Not only is Chrome OS an Ubuntu-based OS all around, but also that there was a PC World article mentioning that Canonical was partners with Google long before HP, Acer, and Dell were - in fact, as soon as Chrome OS was announced way back in June 2009!
    Last edited by k64; January 12th, 2010 at 05:09 AM. Reason: Added reason HOW Google is gaining interest

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I was pretty disappointed the last time I checked the dell ubuntu site. They didn't have very many laptops to choose from and you couldn't customize them very much. If I'm shelling out $700-1200 on a new laptop I want it to come with all the bells and whistles (discrete graphics, upgraded processor, bluetooth, wireless N, webcam, at least 3gb of ram, etc).

The price difference the last time I checked between an ubuntu machine and windows 7 machine was also very minimal...like $30 or so. Also, often times the windows machine will have some sort of "free upgrade" that end up making it cheaper. To me it's worth it to pay the $30 extra to get the hardware that I really want and a spare copy of windows to keep around "just in case".

-teet

Beans

I think Lucid will have a big impact on this, as it will mark IMO something of a milestone. It will be an up-to-date, much more friendly and attractive LTS (hopefully) that will (hopefully) prove more successful and stable with people than the slightly more "raw" Karmic has before it.

April and May (and 2010 as a whole) should be interesting for Ubuntu if Canonical play their cards right
    Registered Ubuntu user #28880

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by MasterNetra View Post
    i think most of these preinstalled ubuntu-desktops come some kind of unpolished.

the difference to selling windows is that you can customize the os how you think your customers will like it most.

and as far as i can tell the stock ubuntu is ugly andnot very usable. so if i would sell any ubuntu machine i would customize the hell out of it to get every single percent of workflow and speed out of that machine. but that's just my two pence ^^
    "To you I'm an atheist; to God, I'm the Loyal Opposition." Woody Allen
    Stressing The Gimp - High Quality Tutorials For The Gimp

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by k64 View Post
    Dell may be losing interest, but Google is gaining interest at the same time.

Google and Canonical are close friends. Just look for a second: Not only is Chrome OS an Ubuntu-based OS all around, but also that there was a PC World article mentioning that Canonical was partners with Google long before HP, Acer, and Dell were - in fact, as soon as Chrome OS was announced way back in June 2009!
    can you please verify your source that Google Chrome OS is Ubuntu based, this is the first I have heard of this.
    "Mind what you have learned. Save you it can." ~ Yoda

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by 今幸福 View Post
    can you please verify your source that Google Chrome OS is Ubuntu based, this is the first I have heard of this.
    Hands-on testing. I dove into all the core directories while using Chrome OS on my Acer Aspire One, only to find a Linux kernel, BASH, GCC, Make, X11, and Apt-Get - all Ubuntu characteristics. The only thing different about Chrome OS is the Chrome browser as a GUI.

Oh, another difference: GRUB is missing. But other than those two, they are absolutely the same.

Edit: To clarify that Chrome OS is based on Ubuntu and not Debian, a PC World article mentioned that Google's first "Chrome OS Partner" was Canonical!!!
    Last edited by k64; January 12th, 2010 at 07:42 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!

Dell's interest in Linux was minimal, all the hardware I found available that would come with Ubuntu installed was all older and the machine was still priced the same as a new Windows machine.

Overall I wasn't impressed with Dell's (Canada) product offerings. Any statement that there wasn't a market could be easily countered with "So you are saying the market for 1 year old machines priced as 1 month old ones was low?"

I bought system 76 because it was Ubuntu with decent hardware offering. The basic ubuntu install isn't ugly imo (running Kubuntu atm though) but to each their own.

If Dell was serious about it in North America at all, you'd have seen some more competitive hardware made available.
    "Always be wary of any helpful item that weighs less than its operating manual." - Terry Pratchett

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234