Thread: Help - How to get my laptop's WLAN switch work

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Help - How to get my laptop's WLAN switch work

Hi there,

I am running Hardy on my Acer 4710 with a built in Intel 3945abg WLAN. It has an external switch that works well in Windows. I have searched regarding this one but can't find one. Other buttons like Internet browser and Email works. Any help?

By the way, the switch works on Intrepid - one way only - that is, turning the the WLAN OFF. But it cannot turn it ON. I have to restart networking to turn it on. And at Interpid, If I turn the WLAN off, even my external (USB) WLAN also turns off, which should not be.
    i5-750/P55-UD3P/HD4850 1GB DDR3/4GB DDR3 A-Data Ubuntu 11.04 x64 Natty/Igelle 1.0.0 DSV /Windows7 x64 (for gaming)

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: Help - How to get my laptop's WLAN switch work

I don't know the exact keycodes, so you might need some experimenting but these codes work on the Acer Aspire One so might set you in the right direction:
    Code:
    /usr/bin/setkeycodes e055 159
    /usr/bin/setkeycodes e056 158
    Note that if you want this automatically at boot then theres a guide to /etc/rc.d/local here.
    (12:25:08 PM) sabdfl: if Linux is just another way to run Windows apps, we can't win
    (12:25:13 PM) sabdfl: OS/2 tried that

Blog | Dropbox

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Help - How to get my laptop's WLAN switch work

Quote Originally Posted by ddrichardson View Post
    I don't know the exact keycodes, so you might need some experimenting but these codes work on the Acer Aspire One so might set you in the right direction:
    Code:
    /usr/bin/setkeycodes e055 159
    /usr/bin/setkeycodes e056 158
    Note that if you want this automatically at boot then theres a guide to /etc/rc.d/local here.
    Thanks bro. Gotta try it out later when I'm home.
    i5-750/P55-UD3P/HD4850 1GB DDR3/4GB DDR3 A-Data Ubuntu 11.04 x64 Natty/Igelle 1.0.0 DSV /Windows7 x64 (for gaming)