Thread: Preseeding with 8.10 Intrepid netcfg/get_hostname doens't work.

Beans

Question Preseeding with 8.10 Intrepid netcfg/get_hostname doesn't work.

Hi,

I'm trying to do a completely automated installation of intrepid. (Using the alternate install image (amd64). (Would it even work with the standard desktop image?)

I've been trying to get rid of a specific problem all day now. But from all examples I've found and everything I've tried I think I miss something or there is a bug. I can't get past the hostname dialog.

What I do so far:

I set the following option using kernel options:
    Code:
    locale=en_GB kbd-chooser/method=de DEBCONF_DEBUG=5 url=http://installserver.ing3.dnet/ubuntu0810/./preseed
    With that I get language and keyboard set, Network information is automatically set up using DHCP. After DHCP I get the hostname dialog preset with the hostname given by DHCP. As far as I understand it if DHCP gives a hostname this dialog shouldn't appear at all.

In my preseed file I tried all sorts of options that were used in other examples on the net (alone, in combination, whatever ...):
    Code:
    d-i netcfg/choose_interface select auto
    d-i netcfg/disable_dhcp boolean false
    d-i netcfg/dhcp_hostname string
    d-i netcfg/dhcp_hostname seen true
    d-i netcfg/get_hostname string
    d-i netcfg/get_hostname seen true
    But all that doesn't get me past the hostname dialog. It seems to me that the options are not respected or I missed something.

I can get behind the dialog, setting debconf/priority to critical (get_hostname=high), but not if it is set in the preseed file. I don't really like setting to much options with kernel parameters ...

I'd be glad to hear any suggestions.

Thanks everyone
    Last edited by trekkie3k; March 1st, 2009 at 03:45 PM. Reason: typo