Thread: VLC - OSD disrupts video

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

VLC - OSD disrupts video

I have a funky problem on one Ubuntu computer that I can't reproduce on another. It's simple to explain, but hard to turn into a fruitful Google search.
    When watching a video with VLC in full-screen with compiz enabled, let's say I move the mouse. The little VLC OSD pops up, and suddenly, for a fraction of a second, I see my background flash through the video. When the OSD fades away, the screen flashes again. The same happens when I adjust the volume and the volume OSD pops up. Note that this does not happen when metacity is used instead of compiz. I can of course disable compiz while watching a video to get rid of this annoying glitch, but I'm wondering if there's a way around this? Has anyone else had this issue? I have an Asus eee pc 901 running eeebuntu, and it's also using compiz, but the OSDs look a bit different and this glitch is not present. I apologize if this has been posted previously, and a link to a solved post is perfectly acceptable. I can't find any answers myself, and would take any help offered. Thank you!

EDIT: I forgot to mention I'm on a fully-updated 8.10 installation.
    Last edited by Beacon11; March 1st, 2009 at 07:35 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: VLC - OSD disrupts video

i have this same problem and have been looking for a fix for awhile. what is odd though, is i noticed while doing many clean installations (all 8.10), this problem did not occur immediately. sometimes it would start the day after i installed, sometimes a week. it just started doing this to me when i started up the computer last night and i have had this install for a month without this problem at all. and it happens in all other video players too, not just vlc. does anybody know of a fix?

edit: wow. took me forever to find this out, but it turns out that the problem only occurs if i am using emerald as my window manager. so atleast i know what is causing the trouble, i just need to figure out why emerald is doing this.
    Last edited by Dawei87; June 24th, 2009 at 01:47 AM.

Beans

Excited with Ubuntu 9.04

I 've an old "obsolete" desktop with Intel Pentium 1.4GHz, 700Mb RAM, 40 Gb HDD with Windows XP. I almost gave up on this machine as it became unstable frequently. But then over the weekend I downloaded Ubuntu 9.04 and put in some effort and applied the Mac theme, the OS is completely functional - now I couldn't be happier. I 've a dual boot with Windows XP and Ubuntu 9.04 and with the Leopard theme (the Mac OS feel). My machine doesn't have a graphics card so couldn't install the AWN or the MAC application dock otherwise the OS feels great. I work a lot on the Linux and Unix servers and I am very impressed with the desktop capabilities as it gives the best of both worlds - the flexibility and power of Linux and the impressive interfaces of the MAC or for that matter you can customize it to your taste and liking. I also tried Kubuntu the KDE interfaces are impressive. Now I use Windows only because I 've to. I am a happy desktop Linux migrant and hope to play with it and learn and contribute.!!!!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: VLC - OSD disrupts video

Yeah, I have fusion-icon installed on my desktop, and whenever I switch it to use Metacity over compiz, no flashes. I don't think it has anything to do with Emerald though, as I don't even have it installed on my netbook, which DOES flash (I said in my original post that it didn't, but now it does). It simply has compiz. I do agree with you on the fact that it doesn't happen until SOMETHING updates... I just don't know what. Like I said, my netbook worked just fine for a while!