Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wine Broken

Beans

Wine Broken

Hey there,

Whenever I install Wine and go to winecfg, i get the configuration window, but all of the words are gone. I've uninstalled and re-installed many times and the problem still persists. How should i fix this? I'll attach a screen shot.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Wine Broken

Quote Originally Posted by unplugged23 View Post
    I've uninstalled and re-installed many times and the problem still persists.
    Did you move/rename your ~/.wine/ directory ?
    And can you post the output of the following :
    Code:
    dpkg -l|grep -i fonts

Beans

I did not move or rename any wine files, and here is the output of hte code you gave me:

Code:
    ii  console-terminus                           4.26-1                                  Fixed-width fonts for fast reading on the Linux console
    ii  gsfonts                                    1:8.11+urwcyr1.0.7~pre43-2              Fonts for the Ghostscript interpreter(s)
    ii  gsfonts-x11                                0.20ubuntu1                             Make Ghostscript fonts available to X11
    ii  ttf-arabeyes                               2.0-2                                   Arabeyes GPL TrueType Arabic fonts
    ii  ttf-bengali-fonts                          1:0.5.4ubuntu2                          Free TrueType fonts for the Bengali language
    ii  ttf-bitstream-vera                         1.10-7                                  The Bitstream Vera family of free TrueType fonts
    ii  ttf-freefont                               20080323-3                              Freefont Serif, Sans and Mono Truetype fonts
    ii  ttf-indic-fonts-core                       1:0.5.4ubuntu2                          Core collection of free Indian language fonts
    ii  ttf-kannada-fonts                          1:0.5.4ubuntu2                          Free TrueType fonts for the Kannada language
    ii  ttf-liberation                             1.04~beta2-2                            Free fonts with the same metrics as Times, Arial and Cou
    ii  ttf-oriya-fonts                            1:0.5.4ubuntu2                          Free TrueType fonts for the Oriya language
    ii  ttf-telugu-fonts                           1:0.5.4ubuntu2                          Free TrueType fonts for the Telugu language
    ii  ttf-thai-tlwg                              1:0.4.10-2                              Thai fonts in TrueType format
    ii  ttf-unfonts-core                           1.0.1-7ubuntu1                          Un series Korean TrueType fonts
    ii  x-ttcidfont-conf                           29                                      TrueType and CID fonts configuration for X
    ii  xfonts-100dpi                              1:1.0.0-4                               100 dpi fonts for X
    ii  xfonts-75dpi                               1:1.0.0-4                               75 dpi fonts for X
    ii  xfonts-base                                1:1.0.0-5                               standard fonts for X
    ii  xfonts-encodings                           1:1.0.2-3                               Encodings for X.Org fonts
    ii  xfonts-scalable                            1:1.0.0-6                               scalable fonts for X
    ii  xfonts-utils                               1:7.4+1ubuntu1                          X Window System font utility programs
    Thanks for the help!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by unplugged23 View Post
    I did not move or rename any wine files
    Here's two different posts :
    http://www.winehq.org/pipermail/wine...ly/022985.html
    http://www.usenet-forums.com/linux-g...-no-fonts.html
    suggesting that installing the msttcorefonts package would help.
    You have however the ttf-liberation package installed already.
    But feel free to try this suggestion though.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by albinootje View Post
    Here's two different posts :
    http://www.winehq.org/pipermail/wine...ly/022985.html
    http://www.usenet-forums.com/linux-g...-no-fonts.html
    suggesting that installing the msttcorefonts package would help.
    You have however the ttf-liberation package installed already.
    But feel free to try this suggestion though.
    I installed the msttcorefonts package (after tracking down the dependencies) then proceeded to un and re install wine. Unfortunately I'm still having the same problem. Thanks for the reply though!

Beans

Bump

Beans

Which version of wine are you using? And where did you get it?

You could try deleting the wine config folder.

Code:
    rm -R ~/.wine
    and then, running again the winecfg command and post the output here.
    Just... enjoy life!

Beans
    Distro

If you have a GeForce 2 through 6 video card, then it is actually a problem with the legacy Nvidia drivers. It can be fixed by altering a reg entry in Wine:
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...76/comments/17

Linux User #355330 | Ubuntu User #15618 | Last.FM

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by cogadh View Post
    If you have a GeForce 2 through 6 video card, then it is actually a problem with the legacy Nvidia drivers. It can be fixed by altering a reg entry in Wine:
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...76/comments/17
    I know I'm using an old nvidia card, however this did not work for me. There is a chance that my card might be older than that though... How should I check? And thanks a lot for the post!

Quote Originally Posted by DREMA View Post
    Which version of wine are you using? And where did you get it?

You could try deleting the wine config folder.

Code:
    rm -R ~/.wine
    and then, running again the winecfg command and post the output here.
    Well, I ran your command, then winecfg to no avail Here's the output

Code:
    izzy@izzy:~$ rm -R ~/.wine
    izzy@izzy:~$ winecfg
    wine: created the configuration directory '/home/izzy/.wine'
    fixme:system:SetProcessDPIAware stub!
    fixme:iphlpapi:NotifyAddrChange (Handle 0x7ce489f8, overlapped 0x7ce489dc): stub
    fixme:shell:DllCanUnloadNow stub
    wine: configuration in '/home/izzy/.wine' has been updated.
    X connection to :0.0 broken (explicit kill or server shutdown).
    izzy@izzy:~$
    When it had finished it popped open a blank wine cfg window just like I've been dealing with all this time.
    I'm assuming the last line "X connection to :0.0 broken (explicit kill or server shutdown)." has to do with me using force quit on the window, as it wasn't very responsive. Thanks a lot for the help! Any more ideas?

Beans
    Distro

Are you certain you did the registry change correctly? By all rights, it shouldn't matter how old your Nvidia card is (as long as it is older than a GeForce 6) that reg change should have corrected the issue.

Linux User #355330 | Ubuntu User #15618 | Last.FM

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast